Anyone know anything about this?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Corky

Anyone know anything about this?

Post by Corky »

I have an old 32 cal single shot sliding barrel rifle with markings: Reals Patent June 28, 1864 Jan 30 1860 E. Remington & Sons Ilion NY. Asked remington about it but they could give me no information.
DavidFagan

Re: Anyone know anything about this?

Post by DavidFagan »

Corky wrote:I have an old 32 cal single shot sliding barrel rifle with markings: Reals Patent June 28, 1864 Jan 30 1860 E. Remington & Sons Ilion NY. Asked remington about it but they could give me no information.
Remington Beals Single Shot Rifle, Made 1866-1870 (from Flaydermans) Quantity unknown
estimated less then 800. Frames were brass on majority of production, iron occasionally seen,
quite scarce will bring premium.

Values are not very high even though it was low production, but condition is everything.
If you list it on for sale your hear from me, I've never actually had one in my hands.

Condition? Serial #? Picture for the photo gallery?
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer

Post by Guest »

On the bottom of the of the rifle by a screw that holds the metal to the wooden stock just behind the lever is the number 899. Perhaps that is the serial number? Condition is really pretty good-at least i think so. there is a little bit of surface rust i think-havent had it out in a long time. I actually shot this rifle when i was 12(1956). The original rim fire bullets from the package read that the bullets were dipped in BEAR grease!! I wish i still had the package. Some of the bullets did not fire then and i have about 7 of them someplace-just moved. Is there anything i can do about the little rust on it?? Will try to get a picture off to you and thanks for the info. Clif

Post by Guest »

Was thinking on your less than 800 produced statement and thought about the serial??number i gave. I read that number with the barrel pointed down. If one reads the number with the barrel pointed up, the number is 668. Do you have an idea which is correct??
DavidFagan

Had the same thought...

Post by DavidFagan »

Anonymous wrote:Was thinking on your less than 800 produced statement and thought about the serial??number i gave. I read that number with the barrel pointed down. If one reads the number with the barrel pointed up, the number is 668. Do you have an idea which is correct??
On the great possibility that this makes me a complete idiot for saying this :D
I'm running it around in my head thinking of all serial numbers I've ever looked at. Usually on
the left side or read from the muzzle. Yes pointed up and the number then fits...
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer

Post by Guest »

Thanks David. Then the 668 fits within the less than 800 produced!! Should I just rub some gun oil or something on it for the little bit of what apppears to be rust? Any recomendations? Thanks for your help, Clif
Roy Marcot

Remington-Beals Single-Shot Rifle

Post by Roy Marcot »

Dear Corky,

Fordyce Beals remained active with E. Remington & Sons Armory throughout the Civil War years, and later invented a single-shot, breechloading rifle that would bear his name -- the Remington-Beals Single-Shot Rifle. [Originally known as the Beals’ Patent Rifle. E. Remington & Sons Price List, circa late 1866. ]

The breech of this rifle is opened by lowering the under-lever, which slides the barrel forward. Two chamberings of this rifle were made between 1866 and 1872--.32 Long rimfire and .38 Long rimfire. Both iron (early production) and brass-framed receivers were made. The under-powered rifle was not very popular, as fewer than 900 were made in seven years of production.

Respectfully,

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian