Remington-Keene Navy Model Experimental?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
gregr

Remington-Keene Navy Model Experimental?

Post by gregr »

I have recently acquired an unusual Remington-Keene musket. It is configured as the Navy models only this one has no Navy markings as well as no serial number. It is marked 45-70 on the left side of the receiver and has the patent dates etc. on the bolt. The only other markings are a "U" on the barrel bands. The gun appears to be original in all ways and completely unaltered. It has been suggested that this mnmay have been a preproduction model for the Navy's consideration. Any thoughts? Thank You
Roy_Marcot

Experimental Rem-Lee Rifle

Post by Roy_Marcot »

Dear gregr:

Our resident expert on Rem-Lees is Gene Myszkowski, who can be reached at: genejan61@berk.com

I'll bet he can answer your question.

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian
Gene M

Post by Gene M »

Dear gregr:

I don't know too much about the Remington Keene, I did run across references to the the Navy Model when doing my reseach for the Remington-Lee Rifle. There were two military models - a Navy and a Army. The main difference was the length of the barrel. How long is your barrel? Yours may have been a salesman sample or one left over after production ceased.

Gene Myszkowski
Author - The Remington-Lee Rifle
RxPilot

Remington-Keene Rifle

Post by RxPilot »

Is your Remington-Keene Military 45-70 Rifle For Sale?---Thank You For Your Time & Consideration!---Have a Good Week---Mike