Remington 1875, 44-40, for valuation or offers

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
ngonyama

Remington 1875, 44-40, for valuation or offers

Post by ngonyama »

Hi:
This is the revolver referred to in my previous post several days ago.
It is a Remington 1875, 44-40, supposedly made around 1882-86.
The revolver mechanism functions fine. There no finish left to speak of, except that I believe it was not originally a nickel plated piece since there is absolutely no remains of any nickel and there are signs of bluing in the crevices and corners.The revolver has had the finish removed with fine emery paper? or steel wool but not excesivelly since the barrel markings are in excellent conditions. There is pitting in various parts more so in the barrel tip.
The grips are not cracked or rotten. The screws are removable easily except the one on the underside of the trigger guard which is mangled and not removable. The head of this screw is damaged and may need to be drilled out.
The action is pretty tight for a 130 year old revolver and is better than in some more modern revolvers I have.
The rifling is visible but blunt not sharp and there in a moderate amount of pitting and darkening present.
There are several dings on the frame, barrel and specially on the frame in front of the trigger where apparently it was fixed to a vise in the past. There is also the mark C.F.P.A. on the right side of the frame referred to in the previous post. The piece have had a hard life. I want to know how much it would be worth and if there is anybody interested in it. I have many high def. photos available for the asking and is ok to contact me @ jcardenas1@cfl.rr.com
The next post will show some other photos. Thank you. Ngonyama
Attachments
P1020027 - Copy.JPG
P1020027 - Copy.JPG (35.22 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
P1020026 - Copy.JPG
P1020026 - Copy.JPG (23.9 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
P1020025 - Copy.JPG
P1020025 - Copy.JPG (24.31 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Re: Remington 1875, 44-40, for valuation or offers

Post by Jay Huber »

We do note value guns we can't handle. Take the best offer you get. Jay Huber RSA
ngonyama

Post by ngonyama »

Thank a lot for a reply!!
Re; a valuation, I fully understand that no valuation can be given sight unseen. I'm looking for a ball park figure, a book value of a Remington in the condition described. Would this revolver be considered to be in "good" or "poor" condition? Or worse? I have no idea.
Thanks for any help>
J.C.
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

This is what I go by...

NEW - unused, same condition as factory production, 100%

UNISSUED / LIKE NEW - unused, but may not have box or factory accessories. May have been sold at retail before, but never used. Unissued surplus guns are unused, but are still often several decades old, and thus may sometimes show small handling marks. 99-100%

USED BUT IN LIKE NEW CONDITION - may have been used slightly, but shows no wear, perfect condition. Modern guns = 99-100%

EXCELLENT - may show slight use, no easily apparent marrs or defects, minimal bluing wear, mainly slight at edges and muzzle, little to no scratches. Shiny bore. Modern guns = 90-99%, Old guns = 80-99%

VERY GOOD PLUS - shows slight wear, only minor defects or dings / scratches. Nice looking bluing but worn at edges and muzzle.
Modern guns = 85-90%, Old guns = 70-80%

VERY GOOD - Everything works, some wear on finish and working surfaces, no corrosion, but maybe some light freckling. Could have minor dents and scratches. Bore may not be shiny but should not be dark.
Modern guns = 70-85%, Old guns = 60-70%

GOOD - Working condition, but finish may be quite worn from sustained use or carry. Wear on working surfaces. Could have some pitting or light corrosion / freckling, and dings or scratches, but they should not interfere with function. May have dark, worn bore. This is the usual condition that surplus guns are graded.
Modern guns = 50-70%, Old guns = 30-60%

FAIR - Still considered working usually, though minor adjustment may be needed Well-worn finish, perhaps no finish left. May have corrosion or pitting that does not render gun unusable. Bore may be shot smooth and be dark. Wood may have cracks but is usually still usable.
Modern guns = 20-50%, Old guns = 1-30%

POOR - Adjustment or replacements of parts need, may not be functioning. Worn out or rusty, sold for parts or for repair only, no returns

"GUNSMITH SPECIAL" - These guns are broken or missing parts, and need to be repaired and checked by a gunsmith before using, however they are not necessarily in worn condition, and though not-functioning, they may sometimes be in very nice condition. Typically no returns when sold.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
ngonyama

Post by ngonyama »

Thank you Mr. Fagan.
I have printed your descriptions for future use. Very comprehensive. Based on it I would rate this particular Remington to be between "fair" and "good" condition.
Since it is evident that the finish is not only "worn" but actually clumsily removed with abrasives, it would not matter too much to have this pistol restored. In another site I saw that the books say that the value of one in such a condition is about 650 dollars.
I also would like to say that I wish my local gun shop owner would use your criteria when pricing his guns for sale, rather than calling "good" guns, "excellent" when selling and viseversa when buying!.
In another note, apparently nobody knows what the mark C.F.P.A. stands for!
Thanks again.
J. Cardenas
Patented Sept. 14

Post by Patented Sept. 14 »

ngonyama wrote: I also would like to say that I wish my local gun shop owner would use your criteria when pricing his guns for sale, rather than calling "good" guns, "excellent" when selling and viseversa when buying!.
J. Cardenas
Sounds like the shop that buys junk and sells antiques! :mrgreen:

Jim
Old guns like old gunners are still deadly.
billt

Post by billt »

I know this reply is 4&1/2 years late but I just saw where an 1875 Remington was auctioned at the Rock Island Auction last year with the same C.F.P.A marking. The description said the marking was for the Cappers Farmers Protective Association, Topeka, Kansas 1800-1883.

Regards
Patented Sept. 14

Do you remember what price it brought at the auction?
billt

Post by billt »

I hope you are sitting down. The price was $13,800
Patented Sept. 14

I'm sitting down. . . or was. Now I'm on the floor! :shock:

:lol: :mrgreen:
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

That gun was in EXCELLENT condition with about 95+% finish.
Patented Sept. 14

For that kind of money, I should hope so! :lol:
pbrowne

Post by pbrowne »

I paid almost $4000 Australian for this one: