HGun values

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
mary

HGun values

Post by mary »

How can I find out the values of a gun collection of a friend who died to help his wife out :?:
Hardrada55

Gun Values

Post by Hardrada55 »

Mary, I would advise you not to take any one persons word as gospel when it comes to dealing with values for guns. That includes mine. Double and triple check everything you are told. In order to get some sense of what dollar value firearms may have, it is best to have two or three different people tell you what they think. If all the values you are hearing for a particular gun are the same, then you can start to think that what you are hearing is the correct value. Do not get in a big hurry to sell the guns or you may be taken advantage of by unscrupulous buyers. Stories are numerous of the uninformed being told that their valuable, high dollar, gun in basically valueless and them then selling it for next to nothing. On the other hand, gun buyers laugh at the people who insist their gun, which actually SHOULD be sold for some cheap price, has a value which is much higher than it actually is.
A good place to start might be to buy a book which gives gun values. I personally like a book called "The Blue Book of Gun Values". It has a good explanation of how the condition of the gun affects it's dollar price. I think gun shows are an awful place for a seller to try to get an idea of what their gun is really worth.
Ideally, I would hope you could find a "trustworthy" relative or friend of the family who has guns who could help you explore the value of you friends guns. Good Luck!
remingtongeo

Post by remingtongeo »

Hi Mary,

The "Blue Book" is a good place to start. I have seen some very low and high prices in that book. It is the best way to find the true condidtion of a firearm, follow the grading section closley. Remember that there is a antique and modern grading system.

I think a good way to find the true value of a firearm is see what people are paying for them now. My I suggest going to a couple of the auction web site, forthehunt.com and auctionarms.com. If you know how to use e-bay's site these will be easy to use.

Don't just look at the asking price at those sites, but look at what they are actually selling for. You'll have to save your searches and both sites are very good about doing that. Both sites won't bug you with pop ups and your information is well guarded.

George