Remington Rolling Block ID

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
45Wheelgun

Remington Rolling Block ID

Post by 45Wheelgun »

I picked this gun up this week. It was sold to me as a Doug Turnbull restoration of a New York State Model.

The gun shares the following characteristics with a New York State Model - No serial number, 50-70 Caliber (I was told this, there are no markings), locking-action (with half-cock safety), "Tall" hammer, breechblock spur protrudes horizontally, shield-shaped checkering on hammer and spur, Sling swivel on trigger guard, three barrel bands, a 36" barrel and 51.5" OAL.

All seems good right? The issue I have is that the last patent date is 1874 which is a year after the last order for the state. From what I have been able to find online the last patent date should be 1871.

So if it isn't a New York State Model - what is it?

Some pictures:

oldremguy

Re: Remington Rolling Block ID

Post by oldremguy »

It is a New York State Model. New York continued to buy rifles from Remington well into the 1890's. I have one rifle in my collection that is maked with the address Remington Arms Company which was made after the 1880's. The rear sight on your gun was modified for Regional target shooting and for shooting at the Creedmoor Range.

Have A Good Day,
Matt
45Wheelgun

Post by 45Wheelgun »

Thank you Matt.

The rear sight had me puzzled as well because I couldn't find a picture on the net of a NYS rifle with that rear sight. Is that sight at least period correct or is it a modern sight on a vintage gun? When were these regional target matches / Creedmore matches that this gun was modified for taking place, in 1800's or in the modern era?

I would like to shoot it, but I doubt I'll ever put more than 20 rounds through it, can you suggest what ammo I should purchase for it? I will not be hand loading and I am hoping someone is producing appropriate cartridges for it.

Thanks again,
Dave
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Hello Dave,
I am trying to type this on my cell phone so I will be a little short will give you more information when I get home and have access to my computer. The rear sight was modified in the 1880's. Also that is when the target shoots were. Creedmoor was located on Long Island and was used for State and National shoots out to 1000 yards. Most of the State shooting was done at 200 300 and 500 yards. You can buy ammo at Buffalo Arms for $61.00

Matt
45Wheelgun

Post by 45Wheelgun »

Thanks Matt.

I look forward to any additional insight you can provide, but you have answered most of my concerns with my purchase. Now all that is left is for me to get out and shoot it!

Again, thanks for all your help.

Dave
rustyrelx

Post by rustyrelx »

Since your rifle has been modified I would be very curious about that chamber. The hammer has been modified to accept a longer cartridge. Before I bought any brass I would see exactly what the chamber is..
Don
45Wheelgun

Post by 45Wheelgun »

Thanks Randy - I wasn't aware the hammer had been modified.

It looks similar to other New York State Rifle hammers I have seen in photographs. Exactly how is it different than a typical NYS Model hammer? My understanding was that one of the characteristics of the New York Models was a hammer that was different (taller?) than other Rolling Block rifles.

I had intended to get ammunition for the rifle and then held off. It sounds like that may have been a good idea. There is a shop in a nearby town that can help me with finding out if the caliber has been changed from the original 50/70.