Remington army factory conversion information sought

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
waynet7

Remington army factory conversion information sought

Post by waynet7 »

Hello, I have been browsing this forum looking for information regarding NMA centerfire conversions. It seems that all are agreed that the only true factory conversions were to .46 rimfire with 5 shot cylinders. What I'm seeking is a confirmation that my 6 shot "Pale Rider" type centerfire conversion is not a factory conversion. What gets me is that it has two serial numbers, the first, 51894, is on the barrel bottom, trigger guard, and under the grip. The second, 211, is on the front of the cylinder and under the grip. Was it a common practice for private, non Remington, converters to serialize their work in this way? Any input will be greatly appreciated, I will post pictures if requested. Thanks! :D
CALIBRE44

Re: Remington army factory conversion information sought

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Pictures will help to identify your revolver. I'm looking at a Army revolver, factory converted. It is 6 shot, 44 centerfire calibre, also has 2 serial numbers...Jim
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

I believe all research agrees that all the "factory" conversions of the .44 Remington percussion revolvers was to a 5 shot, .46 rimfire, metalic cartridge. I refer you to R. Bruce McDowell's excellent book "A Study of Colt Conversions and Other Percussion Revolvers" and Roger Phillip's "Remington Large Bore Conversion Revolvers". Also, Donald Ware's book "Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888". I've seen several aftermarket conversions with another number other than the serial number stamped in various locations. I have never seen a "factory" conversion with the conversion number stamped on the cylinder. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but I believe it would be unusual. As to why some of the non-factory conversions have numbers other than the serial number stamped on them is anybody's guess. It is easy to understand the confusion since there are any number of excellent aftermarket, or gunsmith conversions out there that rival the "factory" conversions in both material and workmanship. Future research will hopefully uncover more information on the "factory" conversions, but for now this is about all we know.
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

I have a few of the 2 pc. capping plate conversion cylinders that have the conversion serial number as well as the original percussion serial number stamped. Both numbers are stamped on the cylinder body while the conversion number only is stamped on the capping plate. It would be nice to see photo's of this revolver.
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Hey Mike this is George McAllister (gmaque@aol.com)
Are your capping plate conversions for a New Model Army?
Mike Strietbeck

George,

I have one that is for the NMA Revolver and several that are for the New Model Revolving Rifle.

Mike
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
CALIBRE44

Post by CALIBRE44 »

Hi Mike..Could you clarify something for me..Is the cylinder for the NMA, two piece as found on the Police and Pocket models?....Jim
Mike Strietbeck

Jim,

Yes, the conversion cylinder for the NMA is a two pc. capping plate design. It differs from the Police, Pocket, and Revolving rifle style in that the NMA appears to be earlier and doesn't have the knurled edge on the capping plate and is not nickel plated, its well worn blue.

MIke
Mike Strietbeck

Here's a couple of photo's of the NMA capping plate conversion. It's S/N 98317 and I have the percussion cylinder with it as well. I have a second example as well but without the percussion cylinder.

Best regards,

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0631.JPG
IMG_0631.JPG (58.62 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
IMG_0626.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG (65.54 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG (59.58 KiB) Viewed 4489 times
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

Mike
Thanks for the pictures. Now I have to find a capping plate .44.
Be In Touch,
George
GBA