Help With Rolling Block Identification

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
DougBohman

Post by DougBohman »

I have a Remington Rolling Block that I believe is either a Model 1-1/2 or Model 2. The only visible markings are on the top of the octagon barrel in front of the rear blade sight, E. Remington & Sons. Ilion, N.Y., a number of Patent dates, the last being Sept 9 1873 and the number 1074 stamped into the trigger guard tang between two screws, one of which extends from the tang above through the stock. I'm certain it is 32 Rimfire.

The barrel measures 24 inches. It has what I believe is a steel forend cap that is quite nicely styled and a steel butt plate held with two screws.

I'm interested in information that could help me further identify the specifics of this rifle. :?:

Thank You! :)
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

#2 Remingtons are easy to spot. The back edge of the receiver, where it meets the stock, are scalloped in a rounded edge, instead of straight vertical, like most Remingtons. The #2 was adapted from Remington pistol receiver, so it has that same design.
If your gun is straight on the back edge, it's most likely a #1 1/2
kbike

Post by kbike »

Thank you for your feedback! Since the edge of the receiver is not scaloped, it most likely is a 1-1/2.

I would imagine there are numberous iterations of this model? I found a picture of one on an auction site and there were two noticable differences.
The rear site was a ladder type where mine is fixed and there are three screws on the bowtie side of the receiver where mine only has two.

Any thoughts as to the year of manufacture or further comments on what model/iteration I may have?

Again, thanks!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

The #1 1/2 was made from 1888 to about 1897. I would guess that the difference in the number of screws might be the difference in early versus late production. I'm not totally familiar with the 1 1/2, but the #1 had a bar extractor on early models, and it was retained by a screw in the left side of the receiver, nearly in line with the bore. Later extractors were a ring type that pivoted on the block pin, so no screw was present.
The 1 1/2 was just a lighter version of the #1, so they probably had similar designs. If your extractor pivots on the block pin, you should not have the third screw.
As for sights, Remington, like most other makers of that time, made a number of variations to each model. The standard rear sight was similar to those used on many other maker's guns, such as Marlin, Savage, etc. and was a buckhorn, with a harpoon style elevator. The front was a German silver blade in a steel or iron base. Optional sights could be a carbine style, express, vernier, or several others. They tried to meet just about any request a customer might have.
Hope this helps.
kbike

Post by kbike »

Yes, thanks. This is great!