History Question

Sign the guestbook
blackhat620

History Question

Post by blackhat620 »

I am doing research on Winchester and Remington history and there seems to be conflicting stories. Did Winchester Repeating Arms Company purchase E. Remington & Sons in 1888 in partnership with Marcellus Hartley? I thought, and according to an article by Howard Michael Madaus, that William Bennett and Marcellus Hartley purchased E. Remington & Sons themselves, with control being vested to Marcellus Hartley as the Remington Arms Company in 1888.

Thank your for the help
banshee1987

Re: History Question

Post by banshee1987 »

i have a remington model 812 i need information on it please help
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

banshee1987 wrote:i have a remington model 812 i need information on it please help
Chuck gave a good answer in another thread:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... ?f=7&t=359
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

blackhat620 wrote:I am doing research on Winchester and Remington history and there seems to be conflicting stories. Did Winchester Repeating Arms Company purchase E. Remington & Sons in 1888 in partnership with Marcellus Hartley? I thought, and according to an article by Howard Michael Madaus, that William Bennett and Marcellus Hartley purchased E. Remington & Sons themselves, with control being vested to Marcellus Hartley as the Remington Arms Company in 1888.

Thank your for the help
From my understanding....

In March 1888 Hartley and Graham (under UMC?) in connection with Winchester Arms Company purchased it at auction from receivers who had it for several years they then re-organized the company under the name of Remington Arms Company. Later this firm purchased Winchester Repeating Arms Company interest in Remington Arms Company and they became sole owners, then after the death of Graham in 1899 the whole property passed into the hands of Hartley.

It was it was Hartley, Schuyler, Graham, Pond, and White that formed Union Metallic Cartridge Company in August of 1867 but I think just Hartley that formed Bridgeport Gun Implement Company in February 1878. Schuyler retired in 1875 prior to the purchase and I'm not sure what happened to Pond and White or nothing but it wasn't under the UMC partnership? Hartley's ownership in the United States Electrical Lighting Company and it's sale to Westinghouse is somehow in this time mix there somewhere as well not involved in this but an interesting bit of history.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer