Remington Model 7 -vs- Winchester M70 Featherweight

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Scorpion8

Remington Model 7 -vs- Winchester M70 Featherweight

Post by Scorpion8 »

I have had a Win Model 70 Featherweight in .308 for a long time, but I rarely hunt with it because the wood is just too darn nice. What good is a rifle like that? I already own two Model 7's (.243, 7mm-08) and while the calibers may duplicate a bit, I have my eye on a Model 7 Stainless in .308 with a synthetic stock that would actually be a better utilitarian rifle in this area (rain forest, muskeg swamp meadows, etc). So if you can't tell that I've already convinced myself to make a trade of the M70 for the M7 .... convince me why not to. Comparative value? The two are virtually identical in length, size and weight but the M70 is really just a safe queen right now. I know the Featherwieghts are highly prized in some circles, but in the ever-lasting Ford-vs-Chevy debate, I'm more of a Remmie guy than a Winchester guy.

Discussion?

Of course I could also just hunt down a synthetic stock for the M70 and get out and use it, but again what's the point then of having the nice wood if it's a show piece?
NRA Life; NAHC Life; Retired USN
Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ......glory .......lasts forever!
Scorpion8

Re: Remington Model 7 -vs- Winchester M70 Featherweight

Post by Scorpion8 »

Well, it's done. Took the M70 to my LGS-dealer and am waiting for the Remington Model 7 to be delivered. Even he swooned over the wood on the M70 but it was just too nice to crawl thru the woods with. A synthetic stock, SS rifle will be much more useful.
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

Any rifle in the hands of a skilled hunter will produce game on the table.

I would have suggested that you find a older model 721 Remington, which could be had for around $350 with a decent scope, and you wouldn't have had to sell the Winchester to buy the Remington.

The .308 Winchester is basically just a military round that serves no purpose other than to be a little shorter than the 30'06 - so it would cycle in the M14 rifle.

Unless you wanted to limit your bullets to just 150 gr, you would benefit more from a 30'06 and a larger case capacity then you would a .308 Winchester...

Even the .300 Savage would be a better choice in my opinion - since I am more of a traditionalist and I like the older cartridges...
Scorpion8

Post by Scorpion8 »

Thanks, but those solutions wouldn't have solved the original dilemma. Another rifle doesn't fix the issue of having one in the safe that I never use/never shoot. Replacing it with one that I do use at a good return on my original investment solves each issue. Let someone else have it that will use it, if they have less regard for the very classy wood on the rifle. Or if they care to sock it away in their safe, then the issue belongs to them. Anyway, the problem has been solved. A new Model 7 SS .308 is mine, and is much more suited for the climate and conditions in this area. And the .308 shoots 180-gr bullets just fine. I already have a .30-06 to use if I need heavier bullets such as 200-220-gr, or other rifle/cartridge packages to accommodate the heavier loads. The .308 is an exceptional cartridge and will do just fine on deer and perhaps black bear in this area.