Model No. 1 1/2 Rolling block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Dixiejack

Re: Model No. 1 1/2 Rolling block

Post by Dixiejack »

Dick Hosmer wrote:Do you have a copy of "Single Shot Rifles and Actions" by the late Frank DeHaas (Gun Digest 1969, 340 pages, softcover)? I'd imagine you could find one on Amazon.

The book is written from the gunsmith and mechanical design aspect, rather than a history book - it's short on pictures and is a pretty 'dry' read, but, It has extensive coverage of the rolling block varieties, including the Whitney versions, even two good sectional drawings of the latter.
Yes, I have a copy plus all three of James Grant's single shot books, George Layman's (my go to book), Marcot's, and a dozen + more on single shots. I have been addicted to single shots for over 55 years. I bought my first single shot rifle when I was 16 y.o. for $5. It was a Ball & Williams (built on the Ballard patent) that someone plugged the chamber with a percussion breech block thereby converting it to a muzzle loader.
Never mind the mule, just load the wagon.
majorfs45

Re: Model No. 1 1/2 Rolling block

Post by majorfs45 »

Hopefully, I have attached a good article on the Whitney rolling block action out of the Single Shot Exchange a year or so ago.