Help With Stock ID

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Chris S

Help With Stock ID

Post by Chris S »

I picked up a box lot of stocks because I needed one for a restoration project.
I need help with the ID on some of them.
I think the bottom 4 are rolling block fore stocks.
Any Ideas?
Attachments
Unknown Fore Stocks 004.jpg
Unknown Fore Stocks 004.jpg (124.62 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Unknown Fore Stocks 002.jpg
Unknown Fore Stocks 002.jpg (131.61 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Unknown Fore Stocks 001.jpg
Unknown Fore Stocks 001.jpg (127.21 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Dick Hosmer

Re: Help With Stock ID

Post by Dick Hosmer »

The top stock in the first picture is a 1st Model Winchester-Hotchkiss. Whether it is the fairly common commercial model, or one of the three scarce/rare Springfield variants cannot be determined from info given. Are there any markings, such as ESA/1878 in a large oval on the left wrist, or a (P) behind the trigger guard cutout? The darker cleaning rod appears to be from a Springfield, so, if it was associated with the W-H stock, might provide a clue. What is the length of the rod?

Beyond that I cannot say, though I'd not dispute your contention that the forends, or at least two of them (with the shorter tenons), could be RB wood. The bright rod appears - from the distinctive head - to be Remington, but I have no idea from which model.

Hope that helps.
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

It would surely be nice to hear back from the OP. Why ask a question, then disappear?

How long is the Hotchkiss stock, from the band shoulder to the end of the wood? Are there any horrible issues in the buttplate area? I know it has been butchered some, but, if you do not need it for yourself, I know someone (not myself) who might be interested, if it is long enough. Thanks.
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

No markings on the Hocthkiss stock. 15 5/8" from the rear band to end of wood. There is a small crack at the bottom screw hole at the butt stock. The dark cleaning rod was in the Hotchkiss stock and is 30 5/8 " long.
Sorry it took so long to respond, I'll check the site more often. I just checked the box so I will get an email when a reply is posted.
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Thanks, Chris. I'll pass the info along. Will it be for sale?
Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Apparently, from checking dimensions, including rods, on my two Springfield-Hotchkiss Navies, that is what it is, but, given that the dimension from center of safety/cutoff button to lower band is 11", the 15-5/8" dimension seems to be a bit short? My friend is trying to find a stock for the army model, which is about 4" longer.
Chris S

Post by Chris S »

The Hotchkiss stock is missing a piece of the forestock.
ehull

Post by ehull »

The stock second from bottom looks to be a Remington smokeless model fore stock, the fourth from bottom a 3-band Remington or Whitney forestock from the black powder era--the length would determine the model.