Trying to identify older Model 700

DBrook

Trying to identify older Model 700

Post by DBrook »

Hello everyone. I just acquired an old Model 700 in 22-250 that has been in my wife's family for a long time. I'm trying to identify the exact age of the gun and maybe some of the history. The receiver has a 6 digit serial number stamped on the left side (1673xx) alongside the "Remington Model 700" stamp. The left side of the barrel near the receiver has the caliber stamped, 22-250 along with the final inspector stamp. On the right side of the barrel, there is the REP (Remington English Proof) stamp along with the Magnaflux stamp (a "T" inside a triangle). There are no other markings on the barrel or receiver. I thought perhaps the barrel code might be just underneath the stock so I took it apart but there are no other markings. The rifle has rosewood caps, no floor plate and a metal butt plate. It has the nicest piece of wood anyone around here has seen on a Model 700 with incredible grain. The rifle was original owned by a Remington Representative and is rumored to have come out of the Remington Custom Shop. The rifle has a Bausch + Lomb Balvar 8A scope mounted on it.

So here are my questions.
1. With no Barrel Code, is it possible to trace it back to date of manufacture?
2. Does no Barrel Code mean the barrel has been replaced?
3. Does the REP stamp on the barrel mean it's an original Remington barrel?
4. Is there a way of telling if it was built at the Remington Custom Shop? Perhaps the lack of Barrel Code?
5. Is there anything else I can find out about the history of this rifle and how?
6. Because it has no floor plate, is it an ADL model?
7. Does the fact it has a metal butt plate tell me anything about the age?

Thanks in advance for any help.
remington600

Re: Trying to identify older Model 700

Post by remington600 »

Remington employee sale guns will be stamped with a 5 on the side of the barrel. Post pictures. It will be a lot easier to help.

Billy Smith
DBrook

Post by DBrook »

Here are some photos of both sides. The original owner wasn't a direct employee of Remington. He was a partner in the company that imported Remington guns into Canada until 1991.

I forgot to add that the barrel is 24 inches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Some of the stock work does not look remington.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Here's my take.......
It's a 1965 gun. That's the year they started chambering them for the .22-250 Rem.

http://www.remington.com/en/products/ar ... l-700.aspx

Also, regarding the date, I have two 700s that were built in November of 1965 which have serial numbers slightly higher than that one........
1798XX ---- Nov 65 "R M"-- .270 Win.
1812XX ---- Nov 65 "R M"-- .30-06 Sprg.

I'm going to "guess" that it IS a Custom Shop gun......with original barrel. The fact that it doesn't have a hinged floor plate doesn't mean it isn't a BDL. And, since it's probably a Custom Shop gun, the designation of ADL or BDL is immaterial. With the Custom Shop, a person can/could order practically any feature they want/wanted.
Nice looking gun. Take care of it.

Den