Uknown Proof mark on Remington Model 1875

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Viscount

Uknown Proof mark on Remington Model 1875

Post by Viscount »

This proof mark is impressed just ahead of the trigger guard on a Remington Model 1875.
I was able to find the identical mark, through a google search, on a Belgian gasser pistol made around the same time period.

The mark appears to show the letters BC and the numeral 6 in a circle. The gun apparently originated in British Columbia, but I doubt that there is a connection to the stamp.

Does anyone know what the mark signifies?

The Remington is a first year of production model.

Thank you for any help. The revolver is an item that is in my collection.
Attachments
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG (18.69 KiB) Viewed 2761 times
Viscount

Re: Uknown Proof mark on Remington Model 1875

Post by Viscount »

Give it another try... so back to the top.
Any ideas?
aardq

Post by aardq »

This won't be much help, but I went through the book, "Gunmarks", by David Byron, and there was no such mark listed. Nor was there any similar mark. The book was published in 1979 so there may be newer info out there. There was no such mark in my Remington sources, but others here are more knowledgeable than me and may be able to help. At least you now know that the common sources don't show the mark. It may be some kind of company ownership stamp.

Dan
North Beach 27

Post by North Beach 27 »

Hi,I have the exact same proof mark on my Remington model 1875.I am in Canada and traded for the gun locally.Perhaps their is a Canadian connection.My gun has no marking under the grips or on the grips,but does have 120 on the hinge of the loading gate and under the trigger guard.