New York State Rolling Block Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
oldremguy

New York State Rolling Block Rifle

Post by oldremguy »

I have a New York State Rolling Block Rifle with part of the patent date stamped to the bottom of the trigger guard. All of the NYS Rifles that I have encountered have had 3-line patent dates on the upper tang as follows

REMINGTONS ILION, N. Y. U. S. A.
Pat. May 3rd Nov 15 1864 April 17 1866
Aug 27th 1867 Nov 7th 1871

This rifle has the following patent dates stamped on the upper tang
REMINGTONS ILION, N. Y. U. S. A.
Pat. May 3rd Nov 15 1864 April 17 1866

On the bottom of the trigger guard is stamped the following patent dates on 2-lines
Pat D Aug 27th 1867
Nov 7th 1871

Also the rear sight bases on most NYS Rifles are marked at the first sight position of the base with a number 1 stamped under it, the second position has a number 2, the third position has a number 3 and the last position on the ramp has a number 4. The rear sight base on this rifle has no mark under the first position, a number 1 is located under the second position, a number 2 is stamped under the third position and a number 3 is stamped under the forth position.

Has any one else encountered a NYS Rifle or any other rolling block rifle made by Remington with part of the patent date stamped on the bottom of the trigger guard.
Roy_Marcot

Patent Dates on the New York State Rifle

Post by Roy_Marcot »

Dear OldRemGuy:

Yes, I have encountered a fair number of NY State military rifles with the patent dates stamped as yours. But I don't know why E. Remington & Sons did this. There were two contracts for rifles and one for carbines.

As to your rear sight markings... I have not noticed one such as yours, but to tell you the truth, I haven't looked at NY State rifles rear sights that closely.

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian