Remington Rolling Block Saddle Ring Carbine

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Palerider

Remington Rolling Block Saddle Ring Carbine

Post by Palerider »

I have a cousin in the American Southwest who stands to inherit a Remington Rolling Block Saddle Ring Carbine,
and I hope you can help indentify it's pertinent history and approximate value.
The gun is about 3 feet long, or as you can tell from the photo, about as high as a door knob is from the floor.
The barrel band has a crown stamped into it and there is a “Pâ€
Cfolman

Remington

Post by Cfolman »

From your description it seems to be a military model of some kind - and still it seems to lack quite a few stamps. Dont know exactly which country, but think I can rule out the scandinavian countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway) although the crown stamp puzzles me - quite usual for Scandinavian guns (dont know about others). Check this page http://www.militaryrifles.com. It deals with rifles only, but perhaps you will be able to find similar stamps and pinpoint the origin.

I just bought a Danish Remington M1867 Carbine (Engineer model) in good condition and fully functional (crisp action / mirrorlike bore). Paid about 600$ for that. Depending on its origin and history the price for your gun could be anywhere from 500 to 2000 in your marketplace, providing of course it is not "rusty" inside.
musketshooter

Carbine identity

Post by musketshooter »

The barrel band appears to have the Spanish crown on it. Check the barrel and other parts to see if they have a B on them.
T Jackson

R/B carbine

Post by T Jackson »

The carbine appears to be a standard export model. You need to make a chamber cast to determine what that the caliber is. I would guess that it is 11mm Spanish as this was the most common. The Danish carbine is FAR more scarce than the common 11mm Spanish. This and condition determine value.
ehull

Standard export carbine

Post by ehull »

The frame style of this carbine, a No. 1 with rabbits to retain the stock, is of the post 1879 period. The caliber could be .50 Rimfire, .50 Centerfire or .50-70 Government (centerfire). The cartridge case of the latter is much longer than the .50 carbine rounds. FLAYDERMAN"S GUIDE... lists such a carbine in NRA "fine" condition at $550. This carbine seems to be in similar condition.
Palerider

Re: Remington Rolling Block Saddle Ring Carbine

Post by Palerider »

Thank you all for your replies.
I was also very fortunate and I am very grateful to have received a reply
from Roy Marcot regarding an email inquiry I made to him regarding this rifle.

Here is his reply:
===============================================
From your description and photographs I can tell you that this is a
Remington (rolling block) military carbine made sometime between 1874 and 1884.
Yours is an "export" model intended for foreign sales (as evidenced by the crown stamping on the barrel band).
These carbines were typically chambered for .50-70 Govt or .43 Spanish cf ammunition.

Unfortunately, we cannot tell anything about which country this carbine was sent... despite the stock stampings.
It appears to be in about 30% condition (the receiver was originally color case hardened) and its fair market value is between $350 and $600.
I cannot tell from the photos if the barrel was originally blued or "in the bright".
Taking off the forend may give you a clue.

I hope this information will be help to you.

Roy Marcot
Remington Historian
===============================================