1858 Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
tbradpgh@stargate.net

1858 Rifle

Post by tbradpgh@stargate.net »

I'm researching a rifle with markings: "Remington's/Ilion, NY/1858/US" and "1858L" on the barrel. I suspect it might be a "Harper's Ferry M1855" made by Remington under contract. Can anyone help?
ed

Possibly a "Remington conversion" musket

Post by ed »

You provide very little info to go on, such as caliber, barrel length, where the markings are applied, etc. But if this is a .69 caliber musket and the markings you describe are on the lockplate, then this is a flintlock musket that was converted to percussion in 1858 at the Frankfort Arsenal using a Remington-supplied lock and new percussion breech.

Post by Guest »

Thank you, Ed. I no longer have access to the rifle but I believe it is .69 caliber. The barrel appears to have been shortened "non professionally" but it does appear to be a conversion as you suggest.
MRFunk

Post by MRFunk »

Can anyone say what this rifle @80% is worth?

Post by Guest »

MRFunk wrote:Can anyone say what this rifle @80% is worth?
jimjohn

Remington 1858

Post by jimjohn »

I have a Remington converted Harpers Ferry in .69 cal rifle beariing the date 1856. It has the Maynard primer lock. My gun is original except for a faithful reproduction rear sight. All else is original and in fine condition. Can still see the tool marks in the bore. Have a spare hammer and the screw/worm tools. It is for sale. 314-378-0198