Can anyone help ID this shot gun?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Linda

Can anyone help ID this shot gun?

Post by Linda »

I have my grandfather's shot gun, a Reminton that breaks into three parts and has these numbers on it:

On all 3 pieces it has the number315859

On the side by side barrel with light engraving all over it: K5875

On the smallest piece it says patented october 20th 1894 (or 1891?)

The last time it was shot was about 1975 and the shells I remember my father saying were loaded with black powder. He was afraid it would blow apart because of the age, but it did just fine.

I am thinking of giving this to a cousin who would appreciate it but would like to be able to tell him something about it. Would appreciate your help -
huber7774@bellsouth.net

Shotgun

Post by huber7774@bellsouth.net »

You apparently have a 1900 model Remington Double Barrel shotgun. You should be careful shooting it with modern powder. aaaaait probably has danascus barrels. Take it to a good gunsmith and have it checked out.
Researcher

Model 1900

Post by Researcher »

Jay is correct, from that serial number and your description it would appear you have a KD- or KED-Grade Remington Model 1900 made in 1901. The Remington Model 1900 was a cheaper version of the fine Remington Model 1894. Both Models were built on two patents issued on the same day, Oct 30, 1894 -- No. 528,507 pertaining to the milling of the frame, granted to R.C. Fey and No. 528,508 pertaining to the automatic ejectors, granted to R.C. Fay and G.E. Humphreys. The Model 1900 was made in both 12- and 16-gauge in a variety of barrel lengths. The Model 1900 was also referred to as the K-Grade. There were four variations --

K-Grade -- plain extractor and Remington Steel Barrels

KE-Grade -- automatic ejectors and Remington Steel Barrels

KD-Grade -- plain extractor and 2-stripe Damascus Barrels

KED-Grade -- automatic ejectors and 2-stripe Damascus Barrels.

Catalogue list price for the K-Grade was $35, KE- or KD-Grades $40, and KED-Grade $45. Actual selling price was somewhat less, many magazine ads of the time stating $25 for the K-Grade.