Who used the "CGC" Cartouche on the 1st Revolver Contract?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
TominRiverside

Who used the "CGC" Cartouche on the 1st Revolver Contract?

Post by TominRiverside »

Who did the "CGC" cartouche really belong to on Remington's early revolvers?

Don Ware says in his book that “C.G. Curtis” was the “principle sub-inspector” at Remington during their turbulent June- August 1862 period, and stamped his cartouche “CGC” on each .36 Beals Navy and .44 Model 1861 Army pistol accepted for the US Army (Pg 32, “Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861-1888”).

However, ProofHouse.com, which lists hundreds of military Inspectors, has “CG Curtis” as being one of TWO Inspectors using “CGC” as their acceptance mark; and they list “Curtis” as an Inspector for “Henry .44 Rifles 1862-1863”.

They list the other “CGC” as belonging to a “C.G. Chandler” inspecting “Remington Beals .36 and .44 Remington M1861, 44 3Rd Model Dragoon”.

Did Don inadvertently use the name “Curtis” instead of “Chandler” in his book as the owner of this now famous “CGC” cartouche? Or does Proof House have these two Inspectors reversed in their listing, and Don was correct? Thanks, Tom
Mike Strietbeck

Re: Who used the "CGC" Cartouche on the 1st Revolver Contract?

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

I discussed this issue with Don Ware and he assured me that it was not a mistake. The following qauote from Don convinced me.
"This cartouche has been identified as C. G. Curtis. Curtis was the first of many inspectors assigned to Remington's two revolver facilitates during the Civil War. I was fortunate to locate a copy of a letter from Curtis sent to W.A. Thornton on July 3, 1862, in which he identifies himself as a Principal Sub-Inspector."

I'm convinced,

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
TominRiverside

Post by TominRiverside »

Thanks Mike, that’s really interesting and convincing. Follow-up related question:

I have seen at least two Remington Beals Navy Revolvers in the 14000 range, with some “C” sub-inspectors initials on major parts (as well as other initials on the other major parts), and one in the 16000 range with a full compliment of “C” initials.

The two in the 14000 range had “CGC” cartouches on the grips, and the 16000 range one had a cartouche, but it was unreadable. All appear to be part of the 1st Army Contract (circa 1861 – 62). Dave Taylor also shows a Remington Beals Army revolver, serial number 1539, which he says has some “C” sub-inspector’s marks (as well as other initials) in his catalog, but no mention of the cartouche (pg 19). The ones I’ve actually seen were definitely not the dreaded “condemned” marks.

My question: Would the principal Inspector (i.e. Curtis in this case) ever participate with his sub-inspectors in the inspections of the barrels, frames, etc, and use only his last name initial, “C,” on these parts? Then later accept the finished revolver with his cartouche?

Or is it more likely that a C.G. Chandler (per proofhouse.com) was really at Remington, but simply acting as a sub-inspector for Curtis during this period (using just his initial “C” on some parts)?

Thanks again, Tom (PS: Will you be at the Little Johns auction this month?)
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Tom,

Either scenario you describe would be pure speculation on may part and I cant go there. Personality quirk on my part requires documentation or major evidence to agree.

I'm not sure about being able to get away from work to go to Johns auction, but if so, I'll look for you.

Best regards,

Mike
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.