Remington Navy Model 1867 Rolling Block Pistol Marking?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
TominRiverside

Remington Navy Model 1867 Rolling Block Pistol Marking?

Post by TominRiverside »

I am looking at a Remington Navy Model 1867 Rolling Block Pistol. It has the anchor, P, FCW, I and, lastly. a relatively clear “J.M.B.C.;” however, Flaydermann says the last marks should be “W.D.W.” or “H.E.” and does not mention a “J.M.B.C.” stamp.

Is “J.M.B.C.” also a valid marking for a 1867 Rolling Block Pistol, and if so, what do these initials stand for?

If valid, is there some reason Flaydermann didn't include it in his book?

Thanks much, Tom
billt

Re: Remington Navy Model 1867 Rolling Block Pistol Marking?

Post by billt »

Tom'
In Jerry Landskron's book on Remington Rolling Block Pistols he lists four inspectors. They are:

Edward Barrett (E.B), J.M.B. Clitz (J.M.B.C.), Henry Erben (H.E.) and W.D. Whiting (W.D.W).

Regards
TominRiverside

Post by TominRiverside »

Thanks a lot! Wonder why Flayderman didn't include these other two inspectors? Does Landskron's book give dates (from - to) for JMB Clitz as an Inspector?

Is "Remington Rolling Block Pistols" the actual title of the book? About when published?

Thanks again for you input.... Tom
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

In Dixie Gun Works catalog, in the back of the book there is a section on Inspector's Marks, they list J.M.B. Clitz, Capt. USN-Remington 1870 barrels in the year of 1870 only.
The book titled Remington Rolling Block Pistols, by Jerry Landskron was published in 1981.

Have a good day,
Matt
TominRiverside

Post by TominRiverside »

Thanks Matt, appreciate the info. I now need to do some reading to try to put a "story" behind this old pistol. Thanks again, Tom