Remington Type II Model No. 3 Double Derringer

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Luke Short

Remington Type II Model No. 3 Double Derringer

Post by Luke Short »

This Remington Double Derringer has a nickel finish (98%), single line markings with hard rubber grips and the number " 46 " stamped on the underside of the bottom barrel. Would this stamped number be the serial number :?:

Last edited by Luke Short on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke Short

Re: Remington Type II Model No. 3 Double Derringer

Post by Luke Short »

To date, 36 people have viewed my question but not a single response to my question. Is this typical for this site:?:
Mike Strietbeck

Post by Mike Strietbeck »

Luke,

Based on other entries in this forum, unless your derringer is one of the "Short Line" address varieties, that number would be a batch number. If you go to the following link for this website, http://www.remingtonsociety.com/gallery ... temId=3640
you will see a photo of the different barrel addresses to see where yours fits.
As far as whether 40 views before an answer is typical, a quick comparison of the views to responses tells me that this is not atypical. Keep in mind that when a forum is open to the public, not everyone who views is knowledgable about the subject or even that particular firearm, they may just be cruising.

Hope this helps, and hope to see you here again,

Mike Strietbeck
Particular interest is in Revolving rifles, Cane rifles, hand guns, and all Remington knives. Conducting survey on revolving rifles, please request survey form.
shadrack

Post by shadrack »

Hi Luke, Never ending question about Remington serial numbers. It is generally accepted these numbers are batch numbers starting at 1 and running to 999 and starting over as evidenced by more than one number 1 being known. This number should match a number on the grip frame under the grip. I have an early gun with 4 digit number and have seen Remington-UMC guns with 4 digits. Best to enjoy the fine gun and don't worry about the numbers on these Remingtons. Charlie
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Actually 1 - 9999, even the type I 2nd model "two-line" went around about twice.
It helps to have the full barrel top but I've never seen a short line go that close to the hinge so it's not a "short-line" and a batch no.
UMC's actually went up to 5 Digtis and also a Leading L and did some really goofy numbering at the end, starting in 1921 they also were date stamped on the bottom of the barrel on the lug.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Luke Short

Post by Luke Short »

Mike,

Thank you for responding and for the information.

"Based on other entries in this forum, unless your derringer is one of the "Short Line" address varieties, that number would be a batch number."

The address on my Model 3 is identical to #5 in the photo. So does that make it a "Short Line" address?

Luke

p.s. so much to learn and so little time.
Luke Short

Post by Luke Short »

Charlie,

You stated, " This number should match a number on the grip frame under the grip."

Yes it does, under the left grip and stamped on the frame is the same number.

Thank you for helping,

Luke
Luke Short

Post by Luke Short »

David,

You stated, "It helps to have the full barrel top but I've never seen a short line go that close to the hinge so it's not a "short-line" and a batch no.", so I've attached another photo. Does this help?

Thank you for responding to my question,

Luke
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

That does appear to be a 5th variation, the "Short-Line" is the first variation (literally the short one) :D

Doug's book if your interested in more details and history is here: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/books/Deringer
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Luke Short

Post by Luke Short »

Thanks David. I'll check out the link and book.