Remington made mosin nagant

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
rich4964

Remington made mosin nagant

Post by rich4964 »

I came across a remington made mosin nagant in 30-06 and was wanting to know some info about it. How many were converted to 30-06? What the value range would be? And anything else that would be useful. I have tryed to get a value from blue book but didnt find anything for that rifle or at least anything that was for the 30-06 type.
oldremguy

Re: Remington made mosin nagant

Post by oldremguy »

Hello Rich,

I own a Remington Mosin Nagant, but I don't know a lot about them. I mainly collect Remington Rolling Block rifles. If you don't get an answer to your question here try
http://forums.gunboards.com
There is The Collector's Forum - Mosin Nagant HQ
They will be able to help you out.

Have a good day,
Matt
fgd135

Re: Remington made mosin nagant

Post by fgd135 »

Hello,
Francis Bannerman, the famous surplus and gun dealer, converted some of these Mosin to caliber .30-06, by setting back the barrels by one thread, and rechambering to .30-06. Some modifications were also made to the bolt face, extractor, and magazine to enable the longer rimless cartridge to headspace and feed properly.
Bannerman manufactured two versions, both made from MN full length infantry rifles:
1) A carbine, with a 22" barrel, a simple dovetailed front sight and the original military rear sight, using the original stock cut down to resemble a Krag carbine, retaining the rear barrel band but no handguard. The short bolt handle was bent down on the carbine.
2) A full length infantry rifle, with the same barrel, bolt face, and magazine mods, but retaining the full length barrel, stock and handguard of the original. Straight bolt handle.

Both can be recognized by the cut-back chambers, where the original serial number and part of the REMINGTON ARMORY roll stamping is cut off. Also, "CAL .30-06" is stamped on the knoxform, usually on the left side. There is usually no serial number on the receiver, only on the bolt, possibly on the magazine floorplate and the buttplate, although these numbers usually do not match each other, since Bannerman's reassembled the guns without regard to matching parts.

As far as I know, no other commercial manufacturer or dealer converted these rifles to .30-06.
And no one knows how many rifles that Bannerman's actually purchased from the government, or converted to .30-06.

The Bannerman carbine conversions are fairly common. One in excellent condition might be worth $300 on the outside, but usually $200 is about the norm.
The full length infantry rifle conversions are not seen very often, and may be worth $500 or more in excellent condition.
Neither of these rifles is highly valued by military firearms collectors as they are considered commercial variations.

Hope this helps.