Early Remington pump rifle 22 CF?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
copilot24

Early Remington pump rifle 22 CF?

Post by copilot24 »

I have found, in a local estate, a very unusual Remington pump rifle. It is entirely in the white, never had a finish. The only marking is the Remington Arms, Ilion address on the top barrel flat. The workmanship is unbelievable. Looks to be a pre 1910 mfg. If anyone would have any info, I would sure appreciate it. I can provide digital pictures as needed. I've collected firearms for 40 years and have never seen anything quite like it. Could it be a prototype or patent model? Thanks,
Jeff
John Gyde

Pump rifle

Post by John Gyde »

Jeff:

You mention a barrel flat so I assume it's an octagon barrel. Does it say "Pedersen's Patent" below the Remington stamp? If so, it's an early (probably 1909) Model 12 22 rf rifle. It should be stamped 22 LONG RIFLE only. There should be a serial # on the bottom of the receiver near the front.

The white is probably faded blue. The patent models I have seen were blued. But... With Remington, anything is possible...

If you want to send me photos, try gydemate@aol.com.

John Gyde
copilot24

Early Remington pump rifle

Post by copilot24 »

Thanks for the reply. There is NO other marking, just the Remington Arms, Ilion on the top barrel flat. Yes it has an octagon barrel. I will send you pictures. This is really an odd ball rifle. Thanks,

Jeff
John Gyde

oddball rifle

Post by John Gyde »

Jeff:

Yup, it's an oddball. I can usually figure out something from photos, but yours doesn't look anything like any design I have seen. I have a Remington Model 12 from 1909 that has a barrel script similar to yours, but it spells out Company instead of abbreviating it.

Is your rifle top loading and side ejecting? I see the rear sight appears to be on the receiver??? I couldn't tell what the stock material was? Walnut? Tenite? Can you determine the caliber? You mention center fire?

I have forwarded your photos to some folks for a possible ID. If the barrel had a familiar script, I would have guessed it was simply screwed into a makeshift receiver. I just checked my rifles and a No. 4, made in 1908 had the same script. The only difference is mine is stamped CO and yours Co (little o). The No. 4 barrel is 22 1/2" long.

John Gyde
copilot24

Oddball Remington rifle

Post by copilot24 »

Hi John,

Thanks for the info so far. The rifle is a tube fed (bottom load), with side eject. The muzzle is 22 cal, but the chamber seems to be tapered. The bolt is definately centerfire. You are right the rear sight is mounted on the top of the receiver. The wood is walnut, with a crescent butt plate. Has an extremely long trigger guard. Button release for the pump action is located on the bottom of the forend. Thanks for the help. Best,

Jeff