Unusual Model 14 1/2 Rem

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Dave

Unusual Model 14 1/2 Rem

Post by Dave »

I have an unusual Model 14 1/2 Remington and would like any input anyone might have about it. It is a full sized rifle (22 1/2 inch barrel) except it has a carbine mag tube that goes only halfway up the barrel instead of right to the end as the standard rifle does. It's not a cob job because the normal full rifle has 2 bosses machined into it for two retaining rings for the mag tube. The carbine has just one at a different mesurement. This rifle has the rifle length barrel with one boss and the short mag tube. The takedown screw is also unusual in that it is on the left side. All the others I have seen are on the right side. It was made in 1920 with a five digit serial # of 76xxx. It has the rifle stock pistol grip as opposed to the straight grip of the carbine.
I'm trying to find out if this is maybe a special order gun or if Remington even did special order guns at that time. The blue Book doesn't say much about the 14 or 14 1/2's at all. Maybe someone could point me to a sourse that could answer my questions without having to pay a fee to find out? Or better still someone who knows these 14 1/2's better than I do. You can e-mail me at dlampman@gmavt.net if that's better.

Dave

Post by Guest »

Dave
At first I thought you might have the special order "Half" magazine feature that Remington offered for the 14-1/2; however, you said your rifle had slots for two magazine hangars. This brings a question to mind. I have only seen two 14-1/2 rifles with the "half" magazine. I own a 38-40. The other is not available to me. My rifle has only one ring and no second slot in the barrel. The slot is just 12" foreward of the receiver (same as for the full length mag). This leads me to suspect you mag tube was cut off, or a half mag was installed at a later time. My tube is 17-3/4" long in front of the receiver. I have observed a couple of 14s with the takedown screw on the right. After investigation, they were found to have been redone. I can't be certain about your gun without seeing it. Just for the fun of it check to see if you have a date stamp on the barrel with the number 3 after it. This would indicate your gun was returned to the factory. Happy shooting.

Post by Guest »

Dave
I reread your post and found I made a mistake. If your gun has only one slot in the barrel you have a half magazine 14-1/2. This was a factory option.
Dave

!4 1/2 oddball

Post by Dave »

Thanks for you reply. I thought you might have misread it. Thanks for rereading it. Could you tell me how rare this rife is? Also, do you know if it increases the value by any certain percentage over the standard rifle?

Dave

Post by Guest »

Dave
There aren't that many 14-1/2 rifles out there to start with. While the "half magazine" is a nice find, its not a million dollar find. I would say you can get a few extra bucks for that feature if you can find a collector in the market. The 14-1/2 is a sought after gun these days but it's the carbines that bring the big bucks. If you have a 44-40 carbine for sale let me know. By the way there are no production numbers for these guns but the 14-1/2 half magazines are rare.
shot1too@aol.com