chrome plated remington fieldmaster 121

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
r11cool

chrome plated remington fieldmaster 121

Post by r11cool »

I was cleaning the attic and came across an old remington fieldmaster 121. I have dont some research online and have found that it was most likely manufactured in september 1949. It was stored well and is in very good condition. A strange thing about this rifle is that it is chrome plated. I havent been able to find any other example of this online. The serial number is 132388 and the three letters on the barrel that signify date of manufacture are DUU. The plating does not seem to be an aftermarket add-on. Can anyone give me more information on this rifle?
John Gyde

Model 121

Post by John Gyde »

Prior to WWII Remington offered nickel plating on many of it's 22 rifles. As you noted, it was actually chrome plating. My latest catalog that offers nickel plating was 1940 when it was available for an additional $10.20. The later catalogs do show it as an option, but Remington would do most anything on special order. Your gun is very late for having nickel, but almost anything is possible. Unfortunately there are no records that would verify the finish on your M/121.

John Gyde