Spanish-made rolling block extractor

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

I have aSpanish manufactured No. 1 rolling block action missing its peculiar extractor. It is a variation of a rotary extractor. I had a two-band musketoon years ago with this kind. Can anyone provide me with specs for one of these? Thanks!
T Jackson

Spanish Rolling Block

Post by T Jackson »

I have three Spanish-made R/B's: a M1871/89 by Oviedo, a M1871 by Euscalduna, and a M1874 short rifle. ALL have a variation of Remington's side slot extractor.
rudybolla

Post by rudybolla »

Hi Tom! See you're still in the roller game, too. This is a strange extractor setup and I have only seen it on the Spanish-made musketoon. There is no screw for side slot extractor. Block has two concave indents (vertical) like part of a sprocket. The sad thing is that when I had my musketoon, I made drawings and took measurements for another guy who needed an extractor! Of course, I cannot locate this. So the hunt continues.
T Jackson

Spanish R/B

Post by T Jackson »

Hi David,
Yep, there are still several R/B's out there that I don't own!!
I just removed one of the extractors. If it was a flat, straight piece I could take measurements for you. But, the two lobes that fit into the slots on the block are at an angle. E-mail me.

Post by Guest »

Tom. The lobes on mine are parallel with left side of block. there are two. Seems it might be a simple extractor. Email me direct at dbeard@mindspring.com and lets compare notes.
T Jackson

Spanish R/B

Post by T Jackson »

David,
Did you receive my e-mail last week Re this?
LTC G

Re: Spanish Rolling Block

Post by LTC G »

T Jackson wrote:I have three Spanish-made R/B's: a M1871/89 by Oviedo, a M1871 by Euscalduna, and a M1874 short rifle. ALL have a variation of Remington's side slot extractor.
Good afternoon. Question, do you shoot your 43 Spanish Oviedo? If so, what cal bullet do you use? Is it .454 cal? If so, where do you buy them? thanks, LTC G
T Jackson

Spanish R/B

Post by T Jackson »

Sorry about the delayed response. My computer died early summer and many more things had higher priority than replacing it.
I shoot all my R/B's that I can get/make ammo for. If you deal much with the 11mm Spanish cartridge and the rifles that shoot them you can understand why the Spanish went to the 11mm Reformado cartridge. The groove diameters of my several 11mm R/B's range from a high of .448" to a low of .438". Obviously, one bullet does not fit all. I have a RCBS .43-370 mould and a Lyman 446110 mould. The RCBS casts a bullet of about .440' and the Lyman throws about .448". I use these two moulds for all my 11mm's. I use various sizer dies to bring the bullets to the desired diameter. There are a lot of folks out there that cast commercial bullets but I have not used any of them. There was a time when service stations actually serviced cars. I scored a few life-times worth of wheel weights.
If you are going to buy bullets then you have to slug your bore. You will need a bullet of at least groove diameter (unless you are using softer lead) and up to a couple thousands over.
My M1871 Euscalduna-produced rifle has a lop sided bore. On the grooves of a bore slug I get .449", .450" and .442" (good help was hard to come by??). I use a soft lead bullet at ..448". Gives me minute-of small rock at about 250 yards; more than adaquet for a plinker!!!