Remington Mod 51 production dates

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
lizard

Remington Mod 51 production dates

Post by lizard »

I just acquired a Model 51 chambered in .380. It' s nice little pistol and I'm wondering when it was made. It is serial no. PA72xx. I notice that some of the lower numbered pistols don't have the Remington name on the right side of the frame. Wondering when they started doing that? How many were chambered in .380 and how many in .32 ACP? Finish on my pistol although some wear, appears to be rust blue. TIA
HUber Jay

P 51

Post by HUber Jay »

Your Gun was made in the year 1919 and a total of 54,518 were made in .380 and 10,257 in 32 ACP. don't know about when the Remington name appeared or disappeared. The early 380 pistols had 9 wide slide serrations while later had 15. Hope this helps. Jay Huber RSA

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the response. I had a sudden panic attack when I saw there was no "Remington Trade Mark" on the right frame. My thoughts being, "It's been reblued and someone buffed off the lettering." But, as I looked at other lower numbered pistols, I noticed they were the same as mine. That and the fact the bluing just looks original (probably an 80% piece) I'm convinced it's original and correct. It does have the nine groove slide.