Model 121 smoothbore, a converted piece??

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
merrbarb

Model 121 smoothbore, a converted piece??

Post by merrbarb »

A friend has a Model 121 slide action, SN 23,5XX that has the .22 short, long, and long rifle inscription on the barrel. But it also has - in very correct (roll stamped) lettering the word "smoothbore". The barrel is in fact a smoothbore with no counterboring. The barrel does look to be converted, but one has to look long and hard, and almost use imagination. That is, both dovetails for the front and rear sights appear to have been filled in (a very good job) and there is a bead for the front sight. There is no matting on the receiver. Upon looking down the bore one can almost see where the rifling had been. I was wondering if there had been any third party that had converted 121s into smoothbores other than Fred Routledge? Anybody with knowledge or ideas?javascript:emoticon(':?')
John Gyde

M/121 SB

Post by John Gyde »

The "Routledge" barrels were not converted by Fred R. They were purchased by him from Remington in their final form.

The gun you mention sounds like a well made conversion. The factory sbs do have bead front sights. My smooth bores, whether counter-bored or not, do not show any signs of rifling, and do not have dove tails filled in.

John Gyde
merrbarb

Post by merrbarb »

John Gyde: Thanks for your reply. Do your factory smoothbores, especially the straight through, or non-counterbored model 121s have the inscription .22 short, long, long rifle (in any form) and then the stamp "smoothbore"?
John Gyde

M/121SB

Post by John Gyde »

My non counter-bored SB is stamped ".22 CAL. SMOOTH BORE".

Some others (COUNTER-BORED) are stamped

"ROUTLEDGE BORE FOR .22 LONG RIFLE SHOT CARTRIDGE" (most common),

"SMOOTH BORE 22 SHORT, LONG, OR LONG RIFLE" (1939 PRODUCTION),

OR

"22 CAL MO-SKEET-O BORE".

Hope this helps.

John Gyde
Duke74

Re: Model 121 smoothbore, a converted piece??

Post by Duke74 »

John Gyde are you still involved with Remingtons? I have a mod 121 Routledge with ser # 202xxx above what is published as production end. can we talk?