remington No.4 rolling block?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
gunnut69

remington No.4 rolling block?

Post by gunnut69 »

Hi Guys! Many years ago I traded some and ended up with a Remington No.4 action, looks to have been chambered to a 32 rimfire. The barrel is of the screwed in variety, not the take down. No wood present. These usually have only the top tang to hold a screw to retain the butt stock and a place to anchor the rear of the mainspring. This one has no tang. The top rear of the action was milled flat and undercut a bit. There are 2 holes drilled and tapped. It looks as if it was made with a detachable top tang? Also the bottom of the action has a 'shadow' where a part was and 2 holes drilled and tapped one on either side of the rear of the guard. Some kind of a detachable bottom tang. I know they made a pistol on this action and the No.7 was just a modified No.4 action, but there's so little left of this thing I simply don't know. I don't have a digital camera but may be able to talk a friend into a favor. The action itself is complete and looks really great. OK,, Any ideas what this is??
huber Jay

No 4

Post by huber Jay »

Sounds like some one was making up a special design, perhaps for a folding stock. I have no clue as to what it is and don't recall anything like it at the factory. Regards Jay Huber RSA
gunnut69

Post by gunnut69 »

I don't believe it was a folding stock or that it was done after market. Could it possibly have been a No.7. They used an unusual shaped butt stock and a tang sight.. This rifle looks to have had a detachable top tang installed and a modified bottom tang also. Are the No.7's equipped with bottom tangs? Are their top tangs detachable? thanks for the reply..
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."