Unique 458

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Wally

Unique 458

Post by Wally »

I recently acquired a rather unique Remington 700 in 458 Mag, with some very unique features. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what I actually have, what it might be worth, and maybe some of the history around this rifle.

The rifle's serial number is 717713. Although it is stamped "Remington 700" on the receiver, a gunsmith who examined it for me says it has more 721 features, than 700. The man I acquired it from said he was the third owner, with the rifle being commissioned from the custom shop by a former VP of Remington. He bought it from a man in India, who was using it to hunt tigers. My gunsmith says it is definitely a custom shop rifle. The stock has a prominent cheekpiece and Monte Carlo. It also has a black forend tip and a grip cap with white line spacers.

My gunsmith said the rifle has a 721 type bolt face and extractor, an early 700 bolt shroud, a 721 bolt handle, a 721 recoil lug, and the receiver itself is very early 700, if not actually 721. What's really unique is the safety. The trigger is 721, but the safety lever looks like that on a Model 30. The safety is also 3 position. The receiver was specially milled for the safety, as well as the stock being specially inletted also. After close inspection, my gunsmith and I are very sure this was done at the factory, and not by some custom gunsmith. The rifle also has a muzzle break consisting of 6 vertical ports on each side of the barrel, near the muzzle. The rear sight is a shallow "V" express type, with a small front bead.

A representative I spoke to at the Remington Custom shop said the rifle sounded familiar to a 725 Kodiak, except for the fact that the rifle was stamped with "Remington 700" on the side of the receiver. Has anyone hear seen or heard of any other rifles like this?

Thanks for your time and replies,
Steve
Rem725

Very early Custom shop 458?

Post by Rem725 »

I had a rifle marked 722. It was 722 all the way except it also had the receiver cuts for the 725 three position safety.

Your 717713 sn fits in the 725 range at about 1960. I suspect the assemblers used a 725 receiver, stamped it 700, and picked other 721-725 left over parts in the custom shop in about 1962, the first year of 700's. Such things are common at a transition time between model changes. However the late 721, 725, and early 700 were all alike except for minor changes.

The 6 large verticle slot/ports on either side at the muzzle is consistent with custom shop work in 1961-62. And I believe all 700-375's and 458's at first were produced by the custom shop in those times. They were named the Safari models. Does the stock have a inletted round plug just behind the recoil lug and a second one in front of the bolt? The stock caps and spacers sound very 700ish.

You might have a very rare, even unique with the 725 safety, custom shop rifle.

Rem725-Jack
Wally

Stock crossbolts.....

Post by Wally »

Jack,
Yes the stock has the two inletted plugs you asked about. I assume they are for crossbolts to help the stock deal with the heavy recoil. What's unusual to me is that the one behind the recoil lug is white plastic, the the one near the trigger has a wooden plug. The stock has a 13" length of pull, with a Pachmayer ventilated recoil pad. At first I considered changing this to lengthen the stock to 13.5". I really planned on using the rifle. Will I be ruining it if I do so?

My gunsmith friend also wondered if this rifle had a lot of 725 features, but since he had not actually seen a 725, he did not know. He also got the same impression that the people in the custom shop had used a lot leftover parts to make this rifle. That even makes more sense to me, if it was actually made for one of their own executives, and not for a regular ordering customer. I have not seen a 725 either, although I had heard of them. That is why the safety was so different to me.

This rifle was actually given to me as a gift. The gentleman who had it is no longer able to shoot it, and says his kids care nothing about his rifle collection or hunting. When I told him I had an interest in big bore rifles, and hoped to go on one hunt in my life where I could justify the use of such a rifle, he asked me to come to his house to look at his rifles, especially his 458. When he showed it to me, he asked me what I thought it was worth. I told him I had no idea. He then told me to take it home, because it was now mine. It even had a 1.5x5 Leupold mounted on it!

I have no intentions of selling this rifle, although it would be interesting to know it's value. I hope to do the same with it, as that gentleman did with me, when I can no longer use it, I will pass it on.

Thanks for your reply. It's greatly appreciated.

Steve
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Steve

Without really seeing it , you have I believe, either a Kodiak 725 that they assembled late and marked as the upcoming 700, or a Safari 700 where they used a left over 725 receiver. Kodiaks (1961-62) in new shape are worth $4000+. Safari's (1962-2000) in top shape are worth $1000+. (according to Blue book 2003). Who knows with your mixed parts. Your serial no. can only be a 725. According to a book I have, they only made 24 Kodiak 458's.

A 725 bolt handle would be blue and swept back a little. A 721 bolt handle is straight and bright. The white and wood plugs, and black caps and spacers could be either Kodiak or Safari. I would suspect Kodiak since it has the 725 safety.

I would love to see your rifle - Jack
Wally

e-mail me

Post by Wally »

Jack,
E-mail me at sbwalters@cox-internet.com.

My wife has a new digital camera, and I'll see if she can send you some pictures. I'd like to have your personal e-mail to do this.

Steve
54bullseye

Re: Unique 458

Post by 54bullseye »

Hi John Taylor here I was reading back in the archives and came across this thread. I have a very similar rifle. This one is in 375 H&H
FullSizeRender (19).jpg
FullSizeRender (19).jpg (592.93 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
FullSizeRender (31).jpg
FullSizeRender (31).jpg (580.51 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Notice the 725 serial number "next picture" and the Remington is stamped into receiver but the Model 700 is hand engraved also the white lug cover.
FullSizeRender (29).jpg
FullSizeRender (29).jpg (819.08 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
Next pic shows the 725 style saftey
FullSizeRender (34).jpg
FullSizeRender (34).jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1230 times
Also has the 725 Kodiak and early 700 Safari style muzzle brake.
FullSizeRender (27).jpg
FullSizeRender (27).jpg (718.94 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
I see this original post was back in 2004 so not sure if same people are members or not but would love to hear from any one who has seen similar rifles. I do agree this is a custom shop rifle that is mixed parts ! The original post is on page 57 in archives and is titled "Unique 458"
Last edited by 54bullseye on Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.