remington_10-1.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 38794 times
remington_10-2.jpg
remington_10-2.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 38794 times
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
Mike P-61

Re: Model 10 Assembly / Dissassembly

Post by Mike P-61 »

Thanks for posting this. I remember seeing this article in a 1975 American Rifleman and, as a technical writer myself, am still impressed with Ludwig Olson's economical, precise and well-crafted prose style. I myself have 5 or 6 Model 10s and really admire them for the beautiful design that John Pedersen came up with. The take-down diagrams in this article are very useful and I've used them many times. This is a very easy gun to dismantle, although I must say removing the breechbolt from the receiver is easier than replacing it! But in messing around with it (making sure it's well oiled) you get the hang of it.

Another thing I've learned with the 10 is make sure you remove the barrel group from the rest of the gun before you swab the barrel because it's really easy to bend the extractor spring out of shape. You can also go to Home Depot and find a replacement stock bolt. Just take in your guard (part 23 below) and find a thread that matches. Numrich in NY state used to be a major purveyor of Model 10 parts, although I haven't needed to use them in years so I don't know if they're still around.

I think the barrel adjusting bushing is a real weak link in an otherwise great design. Now that I think of it, the tang screw arrangement is pretty weak too, needing constant tightening. If you are a machinist or know one, it might help make the tang structure more rigid by countersinking another screw closer to the butt end of the tang. That might help it from wobbling laterally from side to side. I have never tried this, but it seems like it might work. Enjoy your 10; they're good shooters and mighty fun on the trap range.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I just bought my first Model 10 and thought , oh wow, some help on this thread. But I can't bring anything up when I click on the above info - it's red Xed. Any help ? Would really like to take it apart. Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Shouldn't be, do you have images blocked? I can pull them and mail them to you but you really need to fix the browser.
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I'll call my ISP and check - I'm not real computer savey.Paul
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

Not you ISP, which browser are you using and I'll tell you where to check.
Internet Explorer? - if so your crazy nuts (biggest virus magnet on the planet)
Mozilla?
Chrome?
Safari?
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Well, I see everything ok- reset my browser. I tried to print it, which it did, but kind of small- only used about 3/4 of the page. I'm learning but a little old for all this new stuff. I've only got "dial-up" - live in the country. Paul
DavidFagan

Post by DavidFagan »

If you right click the images and then view images it will display JUST the image on the page. If you move you mouse over the picture you will get a magnifying glass with a + in it. That means the image can be viewed larger but it made it smaller to fit you image if you click again it will be HUGE. Between the view image or the large view (after the click) and then a print page it should give you something workable.
David J. Fagan
The Silicon Sorcerer
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

David, couldn't do as you suggested. But I fooled around and put it in "my pictures" and got it to fill the page. Thanks everyone for the help- now I can take it apart and hope to get it back togeather. Paul
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

I'm having trouble putting the carrier and bolt back in the reciever. Could anyone help? Thanks - Paul
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

After a lot of trying I got it back togeather. The reason I took it apart is that it was very hard to open the last inch or so. I've been told there's probably a burr interfering with the carrier. That, and the release button wants to stick in. Hope to see what's wrong . Paul
paul harm

Post by paul harm »

Anyone know why I can't get the slide to work after it was put back togeather? It seems to be locked up in the closed position. Paul
MaxIcon

Post by MaxIcon »

Hey, I recognize those! I scanned them from the old out-of-print NRA disassembly guide and posted them on my website some time back. Good to see they're here!
Tapuno

Post by Tapuno »

To those having trouble with your slide/bolt. Push the Bolt up to the top of the receiver. This will allow your slide to engage it. If your bolt is cockeyed or floating on the bottom of the receiver, you will have problems. I found this out the hard way.