Remington m14,m25,etc.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles

Remington m14,m25,etc.

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know of a book that contains detailed info about the Remington models 12,14,and 25? I love these old guns but know little about them. Maybe one of you could answer a question about a m14 I just picked up also. The barrel code dates it at 1933, it is 35cal. There is a square cut on barrel between the rear sight dovetail and reciever, below open rear sight. What was this for? The rear sight looks to be original remington, front sight has a set-screw locking it in dovetail. S.N. on this rifle is 126167. Any help would be appreciated.
kenblauch

Post by kenblauch »

We are all waiting for a book or books to be written on the early slide action rifles. The slot in the barrel on the Model 14 that you purchased is a carryover from an earlier sight known as the thumbwheel or wheel sight. The slot was continued to be made thru the end of the Model 14 production.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the reply Ken. I figured it had to serve some sort of purpose,but wasn't sure. I'm dissappointed there's no book on these rifles. Maybe someone is working on one,I hope. This weekend I'll see how it shoots, and with a little luck maybe bag a whitetail this fall.
kenblauch

Post by kenblauch »

I also plan to hunt with a model 14 next month for deer. I think it would be great to shoot one with an eighty year old gun. The 35 Rem caliber is still one of the best. Email me with your details, caliber, carbine or rifle, type of terrain etc. Kenblauch@aol.com
pumpgun

remington m14,m25

Post by pumpgun »

check out the next to last edition of the journal. full write up on m14's. lots of info. i have several m14's in rifle and carbine and love them and buy any nice ones i see that are reasonable. can't get enough. 200gr remington corelocks in those old 35's are deer hammers.