Shotgun ID

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Taos

Shotgun ID

Post by Taos »

Hello I am new to this board. It looks like an interesting one to me. I need some help I.D.ing an old double gun.
It is hammerless, damascus barreled, and was represented to me as an old remington. Tang safety, on the left side of the reciever are the words NEW ERA NITRO Hammerless, on the right side is a number which is illegible and the wordsm FINE TWIST Seriel number throughout is 102275. It has a plastic? buttplate with Remington UMC in a circle on it. Any help you knowledgeable folks can give would be great thanks.
Researcher1

New Era

Post by Researcher1 »

The "New Era" hammerless doubles I've seen have been the C-grade or boxlock Baker/Batavia doubles, and have been marked "New Era" on the top rib. These guns usually have a patent date Aug 24, 1884 around a circle in the engraving on the bottom. (Don't hold me to that date as I'm on vacation and away from my research materials) The Baker/Batavia New Eras I've seen have all had serial numbers in the mid-50,000 range. Your gun sounds like a gun made for the same distributor but my some other maker.

Post by Guest »

this gun has fake sidelocks if it is a boxlock. There nare no patent dates on it anywhere that I can find. Nothing on the rib, nothing under the action. the numbers on the right side of the action are I think#4012 110 DEL-900. Got out the magnifieing glass, I really want to thank you for your help.
Researcher1

New Era Nitro

Post by Researcher1 »

If it has sideplates, it may well be one of the Baker Gun Co.'s Batavia Leader guns that was made and marked for the company that used the name "New Era Nitro." You might get some more information by posting your question on http://gunshop.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultim ... ysPrune=20