Rem. SPT 58 Restoration

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Rogmatt

Rem. SPT 58 Restoration

Post by Rogmatt »

Last month My 14 year old son bought this old Rem. 58 made in the 50s with his birthday money to restore. Had a bent barrel, bad wood, blueing faded. He finished his project, had the bent portion cut off by gunsmith & crowned to a 19" cyl bore. We will test tomorrow at the range.Old & new pics below.
Principle Above all Else
Rogmatt

Post by Rogmatt »

I first tried to shoot this gun with 3 1/4 dram 7/8oz loads at the range and it would not cycle, not even on L. The only other shells I had were 3 3/4 dram 1 1/4oz high brass loads and they cycled fine even on H. I guess 7/8oz loads are too light even with 3 1/4 dram of powder to make it cycle.
Principle Above all Else
Rogmatt

Post by Rogmatt »

I am hoping that someone can shed some light on the subject of shells for this 58.
As stated in the previous post, 7/8oz
3 1/4 dram shells could not cycle it even on "L". If it is gas operated and not recoil operated, should the lead load matter. Most target loads are 3 dram or 2 3/4. If 3 1/4 can't cycle it, does that mean I will have to use high brass all the time. Don't want him to have to use high brass for clays. Forgive the ignorance, any thoughts appreciated. By the way, I have not tried 3 dram or 2 3/4 target loads yet with 1oz or more lead.
Principle Above all Else
Chuck D

Model 58 cycling

Post by Chuck D »

Rogmatt,
I'm no expert in this area, but I believe your problem is the shorter barrel. Being gas operated the powder has to build up pressure to operate the bolt. With the short barrel the expanding gases don't have enough time to develop the pressure to cycle the action.
That's my take on the situation.
Chuck D