Question About Model 25

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
edwardsjethro

Question About Model 25

Post by edwardsjethro »

Hello, I am new to this sight. I have a question about a Model 25 that I recently saved from the scrap pile. The action does not "lock up" when closed and with a small amount of pull will open and eject the loaded shell in the gun. Is this normal or is the lock notch on the carrier worn out. It looks good but just won't stay shut. Or is my timing lever not staying in place because the timing lever spring is weak or my timing lever is worn. This gun was made August of1928. Date code letters are W W. Thanks for any help you can offer.
nambujim

Re: Question About Model 25

Post by nambujim »

Jethro!

The "short" answer is "you're in trouble" but you probably knew that. The Model 25 when working properly is super-cool and a desired piece. Problem is they made very few of these, parts are impossible to find, 98.7% of gunsmiths have never seen one, few really know how they operate, and while I can fix about any Model 14/141 I run/hide when I see one of these.

About 35 years ago I took apart one of my 25's, three days later I finally had it back together, and swore I would "never" do that again. Understand that "never" is a very long time but I kept to my word, advising any/all that will listen "only buy a Model 25 that is works perfectly". Been doing this a long time, know of no one that will even try to repair one of these, and as previously stated "parts are made of unobtainium".

My good friend/colleague Tom Hemphill knows these guns better than anyone but even he doesn't have spare parts and won't attempt to fix one. Not trying to be a "naysayer" but a broken Model 25 is one helluva foe. I guess the good news for you might be that if you choose to "part it out" you will probably make a lot of money. Sincerely wish I could be of more help. Remember "the only thing worse than bad news, is not being told the bad news"

Best of luck & kindest regards

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson