Need Part for Model 1 1/2 Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Flatside67

Need Part for Model 1 1/2 Rolling Block

Post by Flatside67 »

I have a Model 1 1/2 Rolling Block, it is the rifle pictured on page 246 of Roy Marcot's book "Remington Rolling Block Rifles, Carbines & Shotguns". The main spring broke, I got a new main spring no problem but when I opened up the action I found that another spring was long ago broken, very rusted. There are 4 springs in the Model 1 1/2, the main spring, the lever spring and the trigger are all available, however, the ejector spring I have not been able to find. The Model 1 1/2 has a rotary ejector and this spring seems to give the finger a little added pop to eject the cartridge. I have been using the finger nail extractor method up to now. From what I can see the Model 1 1/2 is the only model to use this spring. Does anyone know who may have this spring? Thank you for you help.
marlinman93

Re: Need Part for Model 1 1/2 Rolling Block

Post by marlinman93 »

I own three #1 1/2 Rolling Blocks; two in CF, and one .22RF, and none have any spring on the extractor? Are you sure yours hasn't been modified by a gunsmith?
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I've never heard of the spring ejector type used except
on the 1901/1902 model #5 rifles. Possibly they used or
copied the parts used in that model.

Cheers!
Webb
Flatside67

Post by Flatside67 »

I'm sure it has not been modified, my rifle is pictured on page 246 of Roy Marcots book, on page 47 there is a parts list and it shows the ëjector spring". About 2/3 of the spring is still there and you can see the rub point where it used to ride on the rotary extractor. This is only found on a 1 1/2, if you look at the trigger guard plate, the topside, there is a high point in the casting for the thru screw, the squared notch at the forward side or that the guard is drilled and tapped for a single small screw, only on the right side, that holds the spring. The spring puts tension on the rotary extractor to assist in removing the spent casing. Perhaps yours has never been there, the extractor sometimes works without it but not usually. My 1 1/2 is 22RF, I don't know if the 22 rimfire is the same. I would post a photo but I dropped the gun off with a local gunsmith who is trying to find one. The spring is also shown in the Numrich catalog but it is not available.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Guess I'll have to take mine apart sometime as I also have a .22RF No. 1 1/2, and a .32-20, and .45-70 Cadet 1 1/2. I've had all of them apart, and the Cadet recently since I've only owned it for less than a month. Don't see any signs of any spring assist when opening the blocks and watching the extractor. And feeling the extractors they don't have any spring tension either. Maybe all of mine are broken?