UPDATED:1875 Remington unknown markings

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
ob98

UPDATED:1875 Remington unknown markings

Post by ob98 »

Thank you. This is something that probably never will be understood. But, thanks for the help.
Last edited by ob98 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
billt

Re: UPDATED:1875 Remington unknown markings

Post by billt »

Hello ob98,
The 8 on the left side of the frame looks to me like it might be a rack number. I have never seen one on the side of the frame like that, however I have seen a couple of 1875’s with a rack number on the bottom of the frame.
I do not believe the 152 on the back of the cylinder is a batch number but you could find out by pulling the grips and checking the number of the revolver which should be stamped on the frame under the left grip. Remington did stamp assembly numbers on the back of the cylinders of revolvers which were reworked, but they were not spaced out between the holes like the ones on your revolver. I have an Egyptian contract revolver which has been re-chambered from 44 Remington to 45 caliber. It has a 45 stamped on the back of the cylinder and the font is much larger than the one on your cylinder.
The “P” on the cylinder looks like it was stamped whereas the one on the left side of the frame looks to have been scratched. I have no idea what that is for.
If the marks on the bottom of the frame are “US” I doubt they came from the factory marked that way. Remington only had one Government contract which was from the U.S. Interior Department for 639 revolvers in the first half of 1883. Most of those revolvers went to the various Indian reservations for the Indian Police. Only the Pine Ridge reservation marked their 50 revolvers and that was on the left side of the web.
I think you got the other mark on the bottom of the frame right. It could be a partial “4” or a ding.
Do you know the caliber of your revolver? And could you send additional pictures of both sides of the revolver, the barrel address and a picture of the hammer in the cocked position.

I hope this helps,

Bill
ob98

Post by ob98 »

Thank you for help provided. Your reply is helpful.
Last edited by ob98 on Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
billt

Post by billt »

Ob,
Thanks for the additional pictures. Your revolver is the first one I have seen with the batch number on the cylinder. It may have been placed there when the gun was taken apart to mill the frame bevels. The bevel shown in the picture with the number “8” on the frame is about twice as thick as the bevels on the later batch processed revolvers with the new frame. I have a nickel plated cut barrel 1875 and it too has ivory grips. My grips also have anti-rotation pins but like you I do not know if they are factory or aftermarket. To my knowledge there are no Remington factory records of shipments.

Bill
ob98

Post by ob98 »

Thanks Bill for the reply and the help. So many mysteries in these old guns that go unsolved.