Model 14 Doesn't Lock in Battery

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
azjoe1445+

Model 14 Doesn't Lock in Battery

Post by azjoe1445+ »

I have recently acquired a Model 14 Sn. 97XXX chambered in .35 Rem. and the bolt does not lock when in battery. After cycling the slide it will open without pressing the bolt release button. I have disassembled and cleaned the rifle and did not observe any broken or worn parts and as far as I can tell everything is original, no evidence of Bubba. What are the usual causes of this problem and what are the first things to check?

Thanks for any help, Joe
Eddie Southgate

Re: Model 14 Doesn't Lock in Battery

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Sounds like something is still gummed up. I have a few and a 141 but have had no problems with them . Get a factory repair manual reprint off ebay from Cornell Publishing, might give you some ideas. nambujim will see this eventually and will know where to look, be patient .
azjoe1445+

Post by azjoe1445+ »

Thanks for the input. Time to go shopping.
azjoe1445+

Post by azjoe1445+ »

So....took the bolt apart again and did some internet sleuthing comparing parts. Seems I was wrong, Bubba did his magic on the action bar lock. The point that contacts the pump assembly was ground to a taper, it looks like heat was put to it and the nose is battered. A replacement is on the way.
Joe