1858 NMA Conversion

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
dieNusse1

1858 NMA Conversion

Post by dieNusse1 »

Just bought a converted '58 that appears to be chambered for 45 Colt. Chambers measure about 0.480" which matches the Colt.

S/N is 86xxx and would appear to have been made in July or August of 1864. No military marks are present unless the W stamped next to the blast shield is one. S/N on barrel has 33 stamped on top of it and 33 is also stamped near the frame S/N. S/N on trigger guard does not match.

The conversion consists of a new cylinder and a flat metal plate inserted in the front of the blast shield. The hammer has either been replaced or modified to strike the primmer.

Any comments on this type of conversion?
Attachments
IMG_1165.jpg
IMG_1165.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 931 times
IMG_1164.jpg
IMG_1164.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 931 times
IMG_1163.jpg
IMG_1163.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 931 times
aardq

Re: 1858 NMA Conversion

Post by aardq »

Hi DeiNuesse,

I'm away from home for a week, but here are a couple of comments for now. The capitol W is an in house, factory inspector. What you call the "blast" shield, is called a recoil shield. Remington never over stamped a serial number. hey stamped a conversion usually near the frame serial, and on the bottom of the barrel, usually near the muzzle. It looks like the number "6" is stamped on the hammer. and Rem never did that. If no one has an answer in the next week, I'll check my source material when I'm back home.

Daniel
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Daniel - thanks for your quick reply.

An update -- didn't notice stamp on hammer. Turns out to be 33. So 33 is stamped in at least three locations. Frame near S/N, barrel close to S/N and hammer.

Attached are additional pix.
Attachments
IMG_1169.jpg
IMG_1169.jpg (863.93 KiB) Viewed 918 times
IMG_1167.jpg
IMG_1167.jpg (916.04 KiB) Viewed 918 times
IMG_1166.jpg
IMG_1166.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 918 times
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello again,

With the number "33" stamped on the hammer, I suspect that this conversion was done by a gunsmith, a firearms store, or machine shop, not by Remington. I'll check the book on Remington conversions when I get home Monday.

Daniel
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Whoever made the conversion did a nice job. The frame is milled nicely to fit the steel plate spacer. I haven't removed the spacer to see what's underneath.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

Daniel - were you able to track down more info on this conversion/

Jerry
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Jerry,

Sorry, but no. There is nothing like it in Ware's book on the large frame Remington revolvers, the book on Remington conversions, or the book, "Metallic Cartridge Conversions". There are some that are similar, but none are like what you have. I have seen a few conversions with long firing pins, but don't remember any details about them, or even if they were Remmies. Sorry I wasn't able to help.

Daniel
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hello again Jerry,

Is it possible that the cylinder is two pieces, joined together? Looking at the photos again, it looks like a very faint line around the cylinder near the back. Also the finish looks slightly different between the front and back of the cylinder. It might be an original percussion cylinder with the rear of the cylinder cut off and replace with a bored through segment.

It's also obvious that the hammer screw is a replacement. Another questionable point is that the recoil shield was milled above and below the capping cutout, but why? They have no apparent purpose, and they don't allow the gun to be loaded or unloaded without removing the cylinder. A lot of questions, but sadly, no answers.

Daniel