Remington 700 BDL Bolt Replacement

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
krazyntx9935

Remington 700 BDL Bolt Replacement

Post by krazyntx9935 »

Hello to all and I'm new to the forum. I'm in need of both a replacement bolt assembly for a Model 700 BDL long action and also some advice. I'm a one-man shop FFL and very recently sold a very nice Model 700 BDL rifle in long action which was made in 1971 to someone on Gunbroker and I shipped it to his local FFL in another state. I do all my own wrapping & packing so I know exactly how the bolt was wrapped and that it was placed inside the shipping box by me. I remove all bolts for better protection during shipping.

My point is not regarding the shipping itself but that the bolt is now missing. Thus, I'm in need of a replacement bolt which must be the stainless-steel body, preferably with jeweling, and in long action. What I have found so far are two very worn-out looking bolts or a few much newer ones with blued bodies (some with jeweling) which appear to have been made during the 1990's to 2000 era.

My question to the group is this: are there any differences in fit between the Model 700 bolts from the early 1970's to the more modern rifles in long action? I'm trying to avoid buying a bolt with improper fit and then having to pay a gunsmith to make it fit, adjust headspace, etc. I'm also trying to avoid having to purchase parts and then assemble the complete bolt myself. I know that is not difficult if you have done it before, but I have many other things which take precedence.

Thanks in advance for any leads and/or advice!
Bill Z

Re: Remington 700 BDL Bolt Replacement

Post by Bill Z »

I think that I may have a new bolt for a 700. It could possibly be for a 788 though. Both are in .243
If you are still interested, I will look further. As I recall, it is Stainless, with jeweling. It is packed away in my late fathers stuff. Can you give me the dimensions of a long bolt please.

Bill Zaleski
wrz@instrumentratings.com
Last edited by Bill Z on Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krazyntx9935

Re: Remington 700 BDL Bolt Replacement

Post by krazyntx9935 »

Thanks but a 243 bolt will not work on a long action for a 270 Win or 30-06. My question was not locating a bolt but rather advice on compatibility of older versus newer 700 bolts for my rifle.