Model 24 LR Headspace

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Lawman1

Model 24 LR Headspace

Post by Lawman1 »

I have recently acquired a Model 24 manufactured in 1928. It has new style extractor and cartridge stop. I've had to replace some missing
parts and I have it all back together but when I shoot it i just get very light firing pin strikes. I'm guessing it is a head space problem
but I'm not sure. I did not have to replace the firing pin and when I first got it I test fired it and it did fire 1 round.
Does anyone know how to set/check for proper head space?
I would also appreciate links to service/gunsmith manuals
Thanks for your help
dieNusse1

Re: Model 24 LR Headspace

Post by dieNusse1 »

Headspace gauges are available if you cannot find a smith that can help you. Even if you obtain a gauge can you make the modifications necessary to correct the problem? You still may need a smith.

Have you checked the firing pin spring? Anything obstructing proper firing pin travel?

Just a couple thoughts.
Mainspring

Post by Mainspring »

Lawman1 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:07 am It has new style extractor and cartridge stop. I've had to replace some missing
parts...
Is it supposed to have the New Style extractor? I don't think the N/S are a direct substitution but rather one of numerous parts changes to the bolt assembly.

Headspace can be check with gauges as mentioned above.
Lawman1

Post by Lawman1 »

The "new style" extractor is correct for 1928 manufacture and all the springs have been replaced. I am reasonably certain I have let
the barrel adjustment get out of whack. I've never seen Go/No Go gauges for a 22LR guess I'll have to find some.

Thanks
Mainspring

Post by Mainspring »

Keep in mind that old guns in general have probably been worked on before and that incorrect parts may have installed or fitted incorrectly.

Headspace is usually farther down the list of things that could be wrong, unless the barrel is not fully seated into the receiver. I would hold off spending money on gauges until other things have been checked. If the bolt closes against the barrel, with an empty chamber, headspace is probably fine. Let the bolt slam closed and check, ease the bolt closed and see if there is a difference. There shouldn't be but babying things tend to reveal issues.

Clean the chamber and check for burrs. Burrs may be from someone prying out a case but check in the location of where the Firing Pin strikes. Clean the Breech Bolt, make sure there is no crud on the bolt face or in the channel where the FP resides. A new Firing Pin Spring may be needed if it hasn't been replaced yet.