Gove style under lever Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
marlinman93

Gove style under lever Rolling Block

Post by marlinman93 »

Just picked up this Gove style under lever Rolling Block. No idea who did the work, or built the barrel? Surprised to find it is built on an original Remington Sporting Rifle action, with the longer lower tang, and it's original serial number. I was expecting a nicely reworked old Military action, not this.
One small issue was the windage globe front sight was missing. Looked all over in the packing, and it was AWOL. Called the seller, and he was sure it was on the gun. But he called right back and told me he found it in the bottom of his safe, and is sending it today. So all is well soon!

I have a nice long range vernier for the rear in my parts, so that will be too much rear sight, but better to have more than not enough.
There are no markings anywhere to indicate who built the rifle, or barrel, so a mystery still. Buttplate is a Remington hard rubber. Bore is like new and very unique rifling! It's likely around 12 lands and grooves, which is amazing for a .32-40, or even a larger bore. Haven't seen this before on a barrel?
oldremguy

Re: Gove style under lever Rolling Block

Post by oldremguy »

Very nice rifle, glad to see that you finally got delivery of it. You will have to post more photos of it and give us a range report.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

oldremguy wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:40 pm Very nice rifle, glad to see that you finally got delivery of it. You will have to post more photos of it and give us a range report.

Have a Good Day,
Matt
Thanks Matt!
I was searching this morning for some hint of who did the gun, and when I unscrewed the buttplate screws I got a surprise! The buttplate was made from two pieces! The center with Rem. logo, and a separate perimeter that fits so close I couldn't see the parting line!

I think the outer is an original hard rubber from some gun, then a repro center fitted to make it look proper.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Wow, that is some excellent craftsmanship. Is the buttstock original to the sporting model receiver ? Did the seller know who may of built the rifle ?

Have a Good Day,
Matt
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I can't find any markings, or stamps that deluxe stocked Remingtons had in the stock top tang inletting to indicate the work was factory. So guessing it's been restocked by someone, sometime.
Seller knew nothing about the rifle as he bought a small collection of single shots, and this was part of it. The owner had passed, and family was selling the guns. That usually ends any chain of provenance for guns in estates.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I did open the action lever, and peek into the receiver with my pen light to see what it might reveal internally. It appears the lever pivots off the front trigger plate cross screw, and there's a link from the lever that's about 3/16" square headed up towards the breech block. So likely that operates the breech block. Had to all be timed perfectly to fully close both lever and block at the exact same time.