Model 1 Gunsmith??

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
N5ama

Model 1 Gunsmith??

Post by N5ama »

It was suggested that this forum type might be a better place to pose my question concerning this rifle. I’m a new member from the Houston, TX area and am really impressed with this web site. I have a bunch of Remington rifles, shotguns and knives including books purchased +-30 years ago with my interest in single shot rifles.

I have four rolling block rifles including a #4 in .22LR that despite a less than new looking barrel, shoots “lights out”. The only problem I have with it is the tiny original sights don’t work well with my 75 year old eyes. I need to work on them but I’m reluctant to modify them beyond maybe some paint on the very pointed front post.

I also own a Model #2 in .38rf and a model 1871 both in really nice shape with a lot of case color remaining.

The forth rifle is a model #1 that has been worked over by a gunsmith. It’s a spectacular specimen of a rifle in .45-70 with a replacement barrel, a new stock, a scope and some beautiful color case hardening on the action and deep blue on the hammer and breech block. I would love to identify the gunsmith that did the work. The gun came from a collection of an older gentleman that is experiencing some health issues and the family is selling off Somme of his collection. I purchased this rifle from a shop in Georgia and the shop guy says he will contact the original owner to help me identify the gunsmith. It has a DZ Arms scope and a Marble Arms tang sight. The trigger is really good for a non-set trigger and breaks cleanly with minimul travel.
I'll attach four images that will give some idea about the quality work that went into this rifle. Hurray Remington!!!
rr1.JPG
rr1.JPG (41 KiB) Viewed 748 times
rr2.JPG
rr2.JPG (79.28 KiB) Viewed 748 times
rr3.JPG
rr3.JPG (41.71 KiB) Viewed 748 times
rr4.JPG
rr4.JPG (74.75 KiB) Viewed 748 times