Model 1875 S/N 10

CH-47 Fly 2 Me

Model 1875 S/N 10

Post by CH-47 Fly 2 Me »

I am a Colt Collectors Assoc Member who has had the opportunity to own a few Remingtons through the years. In the past I had a 1875 Revolver and would rarely see others at shows. But in the last 6 months I have seen around a dozen just magicly appear. One of which is S/N 10. I'm hoping to find a learned Remington Collector to talk to so I don't buy a Uberti pretending to be an original Remington with a low S/N. I also have the opportunity to buy S/N 120. If you would send me a phone number I would be happy to call you. TIA Pete
gmaque

Re: Model 1875 S/N 10

Post by gmaque »

Good Afternoon
This is George McAllister (gmaque@aol.com). I collect 1875, 1888, and 1890 Remington's. If you'll email me with your contact info I'll be happy to try to help.
johnfrit

Post by johnfrit »

Sir, I have a 1875 Remington that I found a G stamped on the right side of the backstrap under the grip, 152 serial number and a 44 stamped on the left side of barrel (44-40) nickol finish do you think that that G is a government inspection stamp? Indian police? Thanks
billt

Post by billt »

Hello John,
I am not aware of any of any Government inspection stamps on the metal of any 1875 revolvers. The Egyptian contract revolvers were stamped with a cartouche on the left grip. The two cartouches used are FR for Franklin Root who inspected the first approximately eight thousand revolvers and JWR for Jeremiah W Reade who inspected the balance. The Mexican contract of 1000 revolvers were mostly unsold Egyptian contract guns which were re-chambered to 45 LC and marked by the Mexican Government. The US Interior Department did purchase 639 1875 revolvers in 1883 some of which went to the Indian Police. The Pine Ridge Agency was the only one to mark their revolvers which was on the left side of the web. Your revolver may have been used by an Indian Policeman but it is not one of the 639 purchased in 1883 because the caliber mark on those revolvers is stamped on the left rear trigger guard bow while yours is an earlier revolver with the caliber mark stamped on the frame. (I assume you meant the 44 was stamped on the left side of the frame behind the barrel) As far as the “G” marked on the backstrap under the grip, it could be a factory mark possibly to denote a rework. Maybe you could attach some pictures of your revolver including the “G” mark on the backstrap.

I hope this helps,

Bill