Help identifying Old E Remington & Sons Shotgun

Sign the guestbook
DQSBETH

Help identifying Old E Remington & Sons Shotgun

Post by DQSBETH »

I need help identifying my late husband's "E. Remington & Son, I Lion N.Y. Shotgun. It has a 3 engraved on each barrell under the stock, along with the number 138. It is engraved. 30" barrells. It's in good condition. I'd like to know year & guage. A general value would be nice to know, too. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
malsop

Re: Help identifying Old E Remington & Sons Shotgun

Post by malsop »

Your shotgun appears to be a Remington model 1882, possibly a early grade 3 by the looks of the engraving. More pictures could confirm this. Pictures of the fore end wood checkering, checkering of the stock, fore end iron (bottom of fore end where they meet the barrels) and the water table (receiver where the barrels meet)
The 3 stamped on the bottom of the barrel is just for the barrels and does not designate the grade for the complete gun. The "138" is a assembly number and should be found on the receiver and the fore end iron.
The serial number should be located on the barrel lung, fore end iron and water table of the receiver.
Without a measurement we cannot tell gauge of the shotgun. A test shell would be the best option to confirm gauge
The model 1882 were offered in 12 & 10 gauge.

If emailing the pictures would be easier please feel free to contact me

Mike Alsop
Vice President & Seminar Coordinator
RemShots
Remington Society of America
malsop73@gmail.com
540-847-2123