Remington 1858 New Model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Groucho101

Remington 1858 New Model

Post by Groucho101 »

Acquired one of these pieces of history recently and curious for more information concerning when it left the factory and the destination. Search has revealed it is a December of 1863 weapon.
It appears a wealth of info on this site and possibly someone can point me in the correct direction to seek further education on the subject matter.
I'm new to this portion of history as most of my collection concerns the 20th century.
Would most certainly appreciated any help in any way and consequently, I may be of service in reference to 20th century martial arms.
Photos enclosed of the subject.
Respectfully, GZH
Attachments
1858 New Model
1858 New Model
IMG_5729[1].JPG (4.15 MiB) Viewed 1330 times
1858 New Model
1858 New Model
IMG_5732[1].JPG (4.1 MiB) Viewed 1330 times
1858 New Model
1858 New Model
IMG_5731[2].JPG (4.05 MiB) Viewed 1330 times
1858 New Model
1858 New Model
IMG_5726[1].JPG (4.45 MiB) Viewed 1330 times
1858 New Model
1858 New Model
IMG_5730[1].JPG (4 MiB) Viewed 1330 times
1858 New Model
1858 New Model
IMG_5727[1].JPG (3.84 MiB) Viewed 1330 times
1858 New Model
1858 New Model
IMG_5725[1].JPG (6.54 MiB) Viewed 1330 times
Patbar

Re: Remington 1858 New Model

Post by Patbar »

Boy, this gun is in an absolutely beautiful condition !! What's more, it doesn't seem to have been reblued !

I really wonder how a Remington New Model Army manufactured in 1863 and having military inspection marks stayed unfired right in the middle of the civil war...
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

My desire is someone can help with more info on these fine pieces of history.
Many thanks for the reply.
Respectfully, GZH
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

You have a beautiful Remington 1858 New Model Army revolver. As you know it was produced and issued during the Civil War. There are no "Factory Records" available to tell us who the gun was issued to. I do not see the serial number in your pictures. If you could post a picture of the serial number I will be glad to check my records to see if I might have any more information on your gun.
Your Remington has obviously been stored well. These revolvers are notorious for losing the bluing, especially on the cylinders, if they aren't properly protected, stored and handled.
Congratulations on acquiring a excellent example of a fine Civil War era firearm.
billt

Post by billt »

Hello Groucho,
I suggest you get a copy of Don Ware's book "Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861 to 1888". It is the Bible on Remington large bore revolvers manufactured during the Civil War and after. It covers the Beals, Elliot and New Model Army and Navy revolvers. It is still available on E Bay and Amazon.

Bill
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

gmaque wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:15 am You have a beautiful Remington 1858 New Model Army revolver. As you know it was produced and issued during the Civil War. There are no "Factory Records" available to tell us who the gun was issued to. I do not see the serial number in your pictures. If you could post a picture of the serial number I will be glad to check my records to see if I might have any more information on your gun.
Your Remington has obviously been stored well. These revolvers are notorious for losing the bluing, especially on the cylinders, if they aren't properly protected, stored and handled.
Congratulations on acquiring a excellent example of a fine Civil War era firearm.

Sir,
Serial number is 48108 of my New Model.
Please advise.
Respectfully,
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

billt wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:03 pm Hello Groucho,
I suggest you get a copy of Don Ware's book "Remington Army and Navy Revolvers 1861 to 1888". It is the Bible on Remington large bore revolvers manufactured during the Civil War and after. It covers the Beals, Elliot and New Model Army and Navy revolvers. It is still available on E Bay and Amazon.

Bill
Sir,
Have a friend with his book and used it to glean what little I know now. I have seen on other forum's that Frank Mallory out of Maryland does/did have a Springfield Research Service but do not know how to connect with that entity. Found that info in the National Archives site.
Any knowledge of his service?
Please advise.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Groucho,

Your serial number was made in December 1863. Even at that time not all guns were issued. There were always a few that were kept in storage for future need. If it wasn't needed it could spend years in storage.

Enjoy your very nice New Model Army,
Daniel
billt

Post by billt »

Groucho, I have heard of the Springfield Research Service but have never tried to use it. I do have an old list of approximately 1800 Remington martial revolvers from the Springfield Research Service and one of the revolvers SN 48107 was issued to company D of the 1st Massachusetts Volunteer Cavalry in 1864. The next serial number listed, 48154 is issued to the same unit so there is a good chance yours was issued to that same unit, but not a 100 percent chance.

Good Luck,

Bill
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

Sir,
That is FANTASTIC news! I understand the chance one way or the other of this piece being in the same lot.
However, I sincerely appreciate your time and consideration and will continue my research with that information in hand.
Respectfully,
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

billt wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:04 am Groucho, I have heard of the Springfield Research Service but have never tried to use it. I do have an old list of approximately 1800 Remington martial revolvers from the Springfield Research Service and one of the revolvers SN 48107 was issued to company D of the 1st Massachusetts Volunteer Cavalry in 1864. The next serial number listed, 48154 is issued to the same unit so there is a good chance yours was issued to that same unit, but not a 100 percent chance.

Good Luck,

Bill

Is it possible to obtain a copy of your material pertaining to these 1800 New Model revolvers? Very much interested in preserving as much as possible of this increasingly difficult to find material.
Please advise.
Respectfully,
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

Sir,
Is it possible to obtain a copy of your material pertaining to these 1800 New Model revolvers? Very much interested in preserving as much as possible of this increasingly difficult to find material.
Please advise.
Respectfully,
aardq

Post by aardq »

I usually don't disagree with Bill T because his info is always correct, but based on the condition if the Revolver, I find it very hard to believe that your gun was ever issued to anyone. It is possible that the gun was issued to the 1st. MA Cavalry, but that the 1st MA put the gun in storage to be a replacement, and never issued it to a trooper.
If issued, that gun would have ridden in a holster and been subject to semi-constant rubbing. Your revolver doesn't show any signs of that.

Daniel
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

Sir,
Thank You for your comment. Looking forward to any and all concerning these fine firearms.
From my research so far, I've discovered that Co. D of the 1st Mass was mustered out in April of 1864, shortly after 4 new companies of the 1st were formed from December of 1863 till January of 1864. From the serial number range, this firearm was manufactured in December of '63. IF this weapon was issued, it wasn't in service very long. Possibly, it was surrendered in April of '64. However, it is interesting that this weapon was retained in storage within the continental U.S. after the war. Research has shown many of these were shipped to Europe.
What is fascinating is the turn history took concerning the Remington vs the Colt. My understanding is the metallic cartridge incorporated into the Colt was the death knell for the Remington New Model.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Groucho,

The Rollin white patent on a bored through cylinder held up everybody making cartridge revolvers until 1871 and all companies brought out some type of conversions of their percussion guns. Remington did the same, but at that time they were making Rolling Block rifles as fast as possible, so there was no rush to get a large frame revolver to the market.

In 1873 Colt released the Single Action army, and they got a government contract for their revolvers.
Remington didn't release their large frame revolver until 1875, and it was called the Model 1875. But, initially it was made only in the proprietary 44 Remington cartridge, and no one else made guns in that caliber. Rem finally got smart and began making the 1875s in 44-40, and a few in 45 Colt, but without a government contract, Colt's head start, and the Rolling Block rifle contracts, Rem just didn't seem to have the desire to compete in the large revolver market. Unfortunately, Remington's money troubles lead to bankruptcy and receivership in 1886. The new Remington company did make a batch of the 1890 revolvers, but by then the double action revolvers were on the market, and the semi-autos were being developed, so the single action was going out of favor.