Remington 1858 New Model

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Groucho101

Re: Remington 1858 New Model

Post by Groucho101 »

Sir,
I'm fascinated by the information forthcoming on this forum since my first post less than a month back. Being a student of History, this is a recent branch off into new territory as far as the firearms of the day.
Thanks to all that have posted, and if billt would advise, I'd be very interested in obtaining a copy of the info from Springfield Research. My efforts to contract this entity, S.R., have proved futile, so far. However, I will continue with my efforts.
Respectfully, G
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

Thank You aardq, for your help in understanding how/why these early revolvers evolved. Until your info, the Rollin White patent didn't register with cylinder development and the lack of further revolver modifications at the time.
And billt, should you be available, obtaining some of your reference material for provenance of my item is of paramount importance. If necessary, remuneration forthcoming.
Please advise.
Respectfully, G101
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

gmaque wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:15 am You have a beautiful Remington 1858 New Model Army revolver. As you know it was produced and issued during the Civil War. There are no "Factory Records" available to tell us who the gun was issued to. I do not see the serial number in your pictures. If you could post a picture of the serial number I will be glad to check my records to see if I might have any more information on your gun.
Your Remington has obviously been stored well. These revolvers are notorious for losing the bluing, especially on the cylinders, if they aren't properly protected, stored and handled.
Congratulations on acquiring a excellent example of a fine Civil War era firearm.
Sir,
I have to spend a lot of time traveling and out of contact with normal resources. In reading your review some months back, I would greatly appreciate any help with identifying the destination of my New Model 1858, #48108, made 12/1863 and issued to D Company of Mass. Vol. Calvary.
Should the opportunity arise with any information you may have in relation to this piece of history, beyond what I have, Please advise.
Respectfully, G
bob4q

Post by bob4q »

i know i am doing this wrong .so let me start with i sorry. here is my tale my neighbor gave me what i thought was copy remington 1858 44 cap & ball pistol hung on wall for decades started looking at it recently might be real? s/r under barrel and on frame match 63849. the letter l on frame, barrel ,and trigger guard there is also a[t] before s/r on frame. there is the letters W, A on cylinder and W, K on back of cylinder . can someone help thanks bob
billt

Post by billt »

Hello bob, Some pictures of your revolver would help, but from the information you gave it is most likely an original New Model Army. The small letters on the revolver are inspection marks. If the gun was accepted by the Ordnance Department there would have been the Principal sub-Inspectors cartouche stamped on the left grip panel. If there is no cartouche it still may have been accepted because the cartouches have been known to wear away if the revolver has been well used. Your revolver was made in March of 1864. Unfortunately there are no records to which unit or soldier the revolver was issued.

Bill
Groucho101

Post by Groucho101 »

Gentlemen,
Below from billt some time back.
Groucho, I have heard of the Springfield Research Service but have never tried to use it. I do have an old list of approximately 1800 Remington martial revolvers from the Springfield Research Service and one of the revolvers SN 48107 was issued to company D of the 1st Massachusetts Volunteer Cavalry in 1864. The next serial number listed, 48154 is issued to the same unit so there is a good chance yours was issued to that same unit, but not a 100 percent chance.
My question is:
We know records of issue to individuals do not exist. However, where/how would one direct their efforts to investigate if this serial number block of 48107-48154 would encompass all pistols within that block of numbers? There are 47 pistols within this range.
I will endeavor to check back this message thread regularly.
Thanks to all that have contributed to my investigation so far. It has and will continue to be a huge interest, performing this research that may help not only my interests but so many others.
Respectfully, G