20ga Barrel Seal Activator (not an O ring)

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
dhenzler

20ga Barrel Seal Activator (not an O ring)

Post by dhenzler »

I have been plauged by poor cycling with light loads. Seeing a barrel seal activator made me think this may be to help the low power target loads cycle. Bought one... Not much written about them I am unsure if it is strictly an 1187 thing or if it can be used safely in an 1100. I can take the barrel off of each and try putting the seal activator in with my fingers... to see how snug the fit is, and if it's possible that it may work.

I've drilled the gas ports on my 1100G3 20ga by one drill size.. (number drill) and it functions reliably now with my light Green Dot 3/4 oz load. But I have an 1100 LT-20 that doesn't like anything lighter than factory Remington Gun Club loads.

I calculated the pressure increase and it was minimal... like 120 PSI greater. Gun shoots nice, mild recoil and solid ejection.
If any of you have experience with this, please come forward with your results
barrel_seal_activator.png
barrel_seal_activator.png (24.19 KiB) Viewed 601 times
Virginian

Re: 20ga Barrel Seal Activator (not an O ring)

Post by Virginian »

If the action will close normally with the activator installed, it wont hurt anything because it is not blocking gas flow to the relief ports, because there aren't any. Unlikely to solve your issue. Rather than drilling the ports, first I would try "wallowing" out the ports, one at a time, with a standard size drill bit moving it gently in a circle to open up the ends of the port(s). This can sometimes increase the flow enough. If that doesn't do it, try opening just one port first.
Good luck.
What could have happened... did.