Remington Model 25 Feeding problem

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
earlgo

Remington Model 25 Feeding problem

Post by earlgo »

Model 25 in 32-20 will not feed cartridges with the barrel pointed downward but will feed ok with the muzzle pointed up. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how was it fixed? It appears that the muzzle down, the cartridge rim is hitting the side of the breech block instead of lining up with the breech block rim grooves. With the muzzle up the cartridge falls back far enough to line up with the rim grooves.
Any suggestions?
--earlgo
Mainspring

Re: Remington Model 25 Feeding problem

Post by Mainspring »

It might be an issue with the magazine spring or the magazine follower. A magazine spring may need replaced or cleaned.

A Fore-end Screw may be too long and is protruding into the mag tube and intercepting the Magazine Follower. Loosening the screws may reveal the problem, shortening the too-long screw may be the cure.

The Magazine Screw may be turned in too far or tube not fit to screw hole, again causing interference with Magazine Follower. The tube may need reamed or polished to correct.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks, I'll check all that again. I cannot get the mag tube free from the front of the breech block. Someone else tried many years ago and burred up the part the tube goes into. Or it is just rusty.
Mag joint.jpg
Mag joint.jpg (218.95 KiB) Viewed 911 times
The failure to feed occurs whether there is 1 cartridge or more than one in the magazine, so my guess is that the follower is not the problem. But I will check again.
Thanks again for your suggestion.
--earlgo
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

And yes I did take out the little dog point set screw holding the mag tube in place. :)
--earlgo
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Another question. The Rem 25 manual say to "turn out the magazine" from the breech block extension. I am not seeing any threads so am I correct in assuming the set screw holds the mag in place? I need to figure out how to turn and pull without damaging the thin tube. I have soaked the joint in KROIL and let it sit for several hours. I'll try again tomorrow.
Any suggestions?
--earlgo
Mainspring

Post by Mainspring »

I have not had one of these apart in many years.

I think the tube is threaded and that the set screw keeps it from unscrewing. A set screw alone would have a big job of holding the thin tube securely. The weight of the tube, it's parts and the ammo would all have to be held in place during the cycling of the action and recoil.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Here is a pic of the interference issue. If the cartridge is moved back toward the breech face about 1/32 inch all feeds well. But the mechanism does not cause it to happen. There is no pressure on the front of the cartridge to put it in place, and the lifting lever does not apply rearward pressure. The only thing that moves it back is gravity. So, if the muzzle is pointed upwards when the action is operated, it feeds very well. If the muzzle is down, this jam occurs. Raising the muzzle and moving the forend forward a bit allows the cartridge to move rearward and is able to be lifted into the breech block rim guides. I give up.
carrier issue.jpg
carrier issue.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 883 times
--earlgo