Gifted a model 11

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Jerrym

Gifted a model 11

Post by Jerrym »

I am new to the forum i found you guys while trying to research the model 11 i was gifted from a friend who i am storing some stuff for.

Here is what i have uncovered so far not sure if it is correct or not. If anyone can confirm or add anything it will be greatly appreciated.

The plan for the weapon is to gather as much information on it and write it up so that it can be pasted down. I will occasionally shoot it just for fun because it is cool to shoot old guns.

The serial number on the frame in-front of the follower is 6 digits the first three are 184 i tracked it to 1914. It does have the safety in front of the trigger.

The barrel is marked Remington arms union metallic cartridge co remington works, ilion ny Browning patents oct 9 1900 dec17 1901 sept 30 1902 jun16 1903. There is a RP encircled on the rightside of the barrel just infront of the receiver.

The bolt says The Sportsmen. Which from what i found was not done intill 1931. So not the original bolt

The receiver has no engraving

The butt pad is “White line”

The extension tube is not of any type i have ever seen

I am adding several pictures in hope too get some information as to there originality to the weapon. I greatly appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thank you all
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 1019 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 1019 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1019 times
Virginian

Re: Gifted a model 11

Post by Virginian »

Researcher will be along to answer your questions. The buttstock and pad are not original, and the magazine extension is removable.
What could have happened... did.
Jerrym

Post by Jerrym »

Thank you Virginian. I wonder what era the extension is from
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Sad to say the wood is after market, the metal is badly buffed and reblued, not looking at all like original Remington finishes, and it is a mismatch of parts with the much later "The Sportsman" marked bolt.
Jerrym

Post by Jerrym »

Thank you Researcher. Has anyone ever seen that type on tube extension. Make or era of production possibly?
Jerrym

Post by Jerrym »

image.jpg
image.jpg (647.74 KiB) Viewed 935 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 935 times