Remington 1891/1901

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
Tigertrout

Remington 1891/1901

Post by Tigertrout »

Hello experts.....!

A newbie here looking for your expert help in identifying a pistol I just picked up here in Canada.
It has a number of contradicting characteristics, some specific to an 1891 and some to a 1901.
Hopefully I can point you to some detailed pics on my personal website for your review and input.
Thank you in advance, the pistol is the second item down on page 1 of my site.
it is in 22 caliber rimfire.

https://oldguns.ca/virtual-museum-1

if this does not work, i will try something different.
aardq

Re: Remington 1891/1901

Post by aardq »

Hi Tigertrout,

Happy New Year!!

My reply is based of the book, “Remington Rolling Block Pistols”. by Jerry Landskron, and observation of your photos. It does get a bit lengthy.

The first hing that you need to know is that ALL Rolling Block Pistol frames were made by E. Remington & Sons, prior to their bankruptcy sale in 1888. The model name or designation is based of when the guns were assembled, on the frames made before 1888. Therefore in CA and the US, all of these pistols are antique, not modern.

Specifically, your pistol is marked “Remingtons,” a mark used only by E. Remington & Sons, and your frame is marked with the letters P and S. This mark was used by Ordnance Inspector Charles Stickney and stands for “Proved” and “Stickney,” and was used only on the Model 1871 Army models he accepted for the US Ordinance Dept.

The most distinguishing feature of the Model 1901 is the thumb piece on the breech block, which is “bent” to the right 90 degrees. Only the 1901 models have this feature. Another feature is that all 1891 and all 1901 models have a half octagon, half round barrels.

Your pistol appears to have a Remington, 1871 Army frame, with a barrel cut down from a .22 rifle made by Remington Arms Co. Neither the front sight, nor the rear sight were used on RB pistols, and the rear sight looks like a rifle sight. I suspect that your pistol was accepted by the US on contract, and later the original breech block was replaced by a rim fire breech block. A .22 rifle barrel was then fitted to the frame. The blank wedge on the barrel’s bottom flat, fills the location of the tubular magazine attachment.

Your pistol appears to be a well done, conversion of an 1871 Army Model, with a custom grip and forearm. It may have been refinished at the time of conversion.

Daniel
Tigertrout

Post by Tigertrout »

Happy New Year to you to Daniel and thanks for the info. What you have told me makes perfect sense and I had wondered about those changes as well.........Unfortunately, here in Canada it is not an antique due to the fact that it is in 22 caliber, it would have been if it had remained in its original caliber, i think.

It is a very nice looking and functioning pistol.

Again thank you.
Sean
Tigertrout

Post by Tigertrout »

Does anyone know of the whereabouts of a proper barrel so I can bring this pistol back to its original configuration.....?
aardq

Post by aardq »

Hi Sean,

If you want to return it to a 1891 configuration, your choice of calibers is: 22rf short; 22rf long rifle; 25-10; 32 S&W cf; 32 rf; and 32-20. From this list, it looks like only the 21-10 is possible to comply with your laws. All but it, and the 38rf are readily available, and I’m not sure if you can get brass to reload the 25-10.

I’d either shoot it as is, or find an obsolete caliber that can be reloaded. Maybe the 44 Russian? [i]IF[/i] it’s not readily available. The bullets are .429, in various weights, and the cases can be made from 44 Spec. or 44 magnum cases.

Once you pick a caliber, any barrel maker should be able to provide a barrel, and Dixie Gun Works used to have CF breech blocks for sale. Probably faster and easier and cheaper than having the RF breech block modified to fire FC.

Since it is a 1871 Army frame, you might be able to have a barrel made in .50 Army caliber, or maybe some one has a few in stock. The 50 Army will fit either the Army or Navy barrels, but not the reverse. Check with Dixie for brass. It will be very pricey IF they have any. And, I've read that the recoil is brutal.

Please keep us updated.

Good luck,
Daniel
Tigertrout

Post by Tigertrout »

cheers Daniel

and thanks for all the good info.